Easy, delicious, vegan cheese sauce is made using only 7 wholesome ingredients and ready in 15 minutes flat! Perfect for dunking and drizzling on all your favourites. Plus, it’s nut free and oil free, for a low fat cheesy option.
Vegan cheese may sound like a strange concept at first. I mean, what makes it “cheese” if it’s not made using cow’s milk right?
I was definitely among the confused (and skeptical) when I first heard the words vegan and cheese in the same sentence.
But let me put it this way. My husband who actually hates cheese (I know, weird…) LIKES vegan cheese, and he really enjoyed this vegan cheese sauce.
What makes this sauce cheesy?
I’m not going to lie to you. It doesn’t exactly taste like melted cheese, so if that’s what you’re after, I apologize. What it does taste like is a mix of sweet, savoury, and smoky deliciousness, in a thick and creamy, oozy, texture. The nutritional yeast gives the sauce its cheesy flavour, but without all the calories and fat that typically accompany cheese.
So now you’re wondering, just what exactly is this cheese sauce made of? The answer, just a few simple ingredients!
- Sweet potato
- Nutritional yeast
- And the perfect blend of seasoning to get this just right
Most vegan cheese sauce recipes that I’ve come across contain some kind of nut, often cashews. Since cashews high in fat (albeit good fat!) I set out to make a cheesy tasting sauce that is also nut free. Perfect for anyone with allergies, or anyone that is watching their caloric intake.
How do you make vegan cheese sauce?
Cover the veggies with water in a small pot and cook until tender.
Then, transfer the veggies along with half a cup of the reserved cooking water to a blender.
Add in all the seasonings, and process until smooth. Add more water if needed to obtain desired consistency.
So, easy method, and only a few ingredients. What are you waiting for?
Need some great ideas on how to use your vegan cheese sauce?
Or you can enjoy this perfectly dunkable sauce with some tortilla chips! YUM.
For more homemade dips and sauces, you may want to check out these!
- Easy Dairy Free Sour Cream (Cashew Cream)
- Homemade Tahini – Made in Only 5 Minutes!
- Sweet Hummus Fruit Dip [V+GF]
- 3 Minute Easy Guacamole
- Oil Free Dillicious White Bean Dip
- Beautiful Beet Hummus [V+GF]
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 2 small carrots peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 small sweet potato peeled & roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2-3/4 cup cooking water reserved *see notes
- Add the onion, carrots and sweet potato to a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cooking until fork tender, approx 10 minutes. Drain but reserve the cooking water.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to your blender along with the nutritional yeast and all the seasonings and start with 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Process until smooth adding more water 1-2 tablespoons at a time if needed. Do not add all the water at once, or you may make the sauce to thin.