This vegan poutine is not quite your traditional cheese curds and gravy smothered french fries type dish. Instead, I’ve made it healthier. Of course. 😉
For all my Canadian friends, this one is for you! Okay, well not just my fellow Canadians, but I think this will hold a special place in your hearts. 🙂
First off, I start this dish with roasted potato wedges, rather than deep fried french fries.
Although baked french fries would also be perfect here. Perhaps even an air fryer would make wonderful potatoes, but I haven’t tried it that way yet.
So, roast your potatoes until golden and super crispy. You want them a little overdone so they don’t get overly soggy when you smother them in the cheesy sauce.
If you’re avoiding oil, you can bake your potatoes without it. Just use parchment paper on your tray and leave space between the wedges so they don’t stick together. They won’t crisp up quite as much, but they will still be delicious!
Divide your roasted potatoes into two serving dishes, or 1 large platter if you’re sharing.
Then generously pour your vegan cheese sauce over top, and finally sprinkle with your fresh veggies.
I use green and red onion and tomato to sprinkle on top, but feel free to experiment! Some cilantro, corn and jalapeno would also be a great combo to put a Mexican spin on your poutine.
I’d love to hear what you come up, so please share in the comments below!
If you enjoy this healthy-ish vegan poutine, you might also like these:
- Sweet Potato Noodles w/ Vegan Alfredo Sauce [GF+Oil Free]
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup (with Stove Top Directions)
- Vegan Sloppy Joes Instant Pot (Soup or Sandwich!)
- Seriously the BEST Vegan Lasagna
- Lentil Pizza Crust Dairy & Gluten Free
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 425 degrees convection roast.
- Toss the potatoes with the oil and salt and place in a single layer on your baking tray. Roast for 35-45 minutes, until potatoes are crispy, flipping once midway through cooking.
- Serve the potatoes in two deep plates smothered in the vegan cheese sauce and sprinkled with half of the toppings in each plate. Enjoy!