Ready for the crispiest, crunchiest hash browns ever?? These air fryer hash browns are made from scratch with just 3 ingredients plus an optional fourth and make a perfect addition to your brunch or breakfast.
Do you have an air fryer? Are you loving it?
Pair them with fluffy pancakes, fresh fruit and all your favourites for the ultimate breakfast!
I’m sure we’ve all had deep fried hash browns at some point in our lives right?
Now you can have ALL that crispiness and deliciousness with FAR less oil, and I even have an oil free option for you too.
How to make them
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients. All you need is potatoes, salt, a little oil (or see my oil free option in the notes at the bottom) and onion powder, if you’d like.
You may peel the potatoes or leave the peel on, just scrub well first.
Then shred your potatoes using a box shredder into a plate, cutting board, or directly into a large mixing bowl to save an extra dish to wash. (photo 1)
Next, you’ll cover the potato shreds in cold water, give it a stir and let them sit for about 20 minutes. Then drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. (photos 2-3)
NOTE: This process removes the starch, resulting in crispy air fryer hash browns later, so do not skip.
Now dry your potato shreds using a clean dish towel or paper towels. Lay them out and press and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. (photos 4-5)
Return the DRY potato shreds to your mixing bowl (but wipe the bowl dry first!). Add your seasoning and the oil, if using, and mix well. Then transfer the shreds to your basket. (photos 6-7)
Spread the shreds into an even layer and try not to leave any thicker areas or those spots won’t crisp up as much. Then cook until golden and crispy, (approx 20 minutes in an 8qt Ninja Foodi) no need to flip. (photos 8-9)
Once golden and desired level of crispiness is reached, carefully remove the hash brown from your basket.
Use a silicone spatula to gently separate the edges if needed, and then lift it out. Enjoy with all your favourite breakfast foods or as a side dish.
Break off pieces or use a pizza slicer to cut into cleaner, cut wedges, if preferred.
One round hash brown easily serves 2 with a generous portion or you may cut into 4 triangular slices.
I kind of like this messy look!
What kind of air fryer should I use?
I’m using an 8qt Ninja Foodi and my hash brown is crispy at the 18-20 minute mark.
If you’re using a smaller air fryer basket, they will cook faster. Start checking around the 12-15 minute mark and cook until desired crispiness is reached.
For smaller models you may need to work in two batches.
What substitutions can I make?
If using the optional onion powder in your air fryer hash brows, you’ll have onion flavour of course. If onion is not your thing, feel free to omit it.
Or you may sub the onion powder for another flavour, if preferred.
For spicy hash browns, use 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or chili flakes.
For smoky hash browns, add 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
*If you’re avoiding oil and using a non stick basket, this recipe also works without the oil. I tried it in my Ninja Foodi and it does not stick. Use a silicone spatula to gently separate the edges and it will remove easily. Please note that it will be slightly less crispy this way.
Expert Tips for the Crispiest Hash Browns
- Don’t skip the soaking. Soaking the potatoes in cold water helps remove the starch which will result in crispier potatoes. So make sure to soak for 20 minutes and also rinse them afterward.
- Dry them very well! Again, for maximum crispiness, make sure the potato shreds are dried well. Use a clean dish towel to squeeze out the liquid.
- Spread the potatoes in an even layer to get them evenly crisped. Thicker spots may not crisp up as much.
More Awesome Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Healthy Blueberry Pancakes
- Eggless Frittata Muffins
- Healthy Vegan Oatmeal Cookies
- Banana Walnut Smoothie
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 lb yellow potatoes approx 2 medium potatoes
- 1.5 tbsp avocado oil or cooking oil of choice *see notes for oil free option
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder optional
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and peel your potatoes. (Or scrub them if you wish to leave the peel on.)
- Then using a box grater, shred your potatoes into the bowl of water. Give them a quick stir and let them sit for 20 minutes. Now drain into a colander and rinse very well with cold water.
- Transfer the shredded potatoes to a clean dish towel or paper towels and squeeze or press them dry. You want them as dry as possible for the crispiest hash browns.
- Now add the potatoes back to the same bowl (wipe it dry first) and add the oil (if using) and the seasoning. Mix well.
- Grease or spray your basket (if needed) and place the seasoned potatoes inside. Use a silicone spatula to spread and press the shreds into an even layer and cook at 380 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden. No need to flip! Enjoy!