Whether you want sweet or spicy, these air fryer carrots make an absolute winning side dish. Simple to prepare, with two incredible flavour options, and a perfectly delicious veggie to add to your dinner rotation.
When you need to add some colour to your meal or a nutritious veggie that still tastes incredible, these air fryer carrots are a great choice.
Why you’ll love these!
- They’re simple to make! With just a few ingredients, depending on your flavour choice, you can get these carrots on the table in 25 minutes.
- It’s a fun way to enjoy carrots, when compared to plain ole steamed.
- The’re kid friendly and kiddo approved! Mine particularly enjoyed the spicy version and thought they resembled potato wedges!
- They’re healthy, like most recipes you’ll find here on the blog. And if you’re avoiding oil or on a low fat diet, just skip the optional butter in the sweet version and sub veggie broth for the oil in the spicy version.
- Simple! All you need is carrots and few other ingredients to season (depending on which option you choose) and you probably already have everything you need in your fridge or pantry.
How to make them
(This is a summary with step-by-step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients, for either the spicy or sweet version.
How to make the sweet version
Chop your carrots into one inch pieces. (I cut mine on a diagonal, but this is not necessary.)
Place the chopped carrots in a mixing bowl and add all the seasoning for the sweet version and mix well. (photos 1-2)
Now transfer the seasoned carrots to an oven safe dish that fits inside your basket and cook for 15-18 minutes, or until tender. (photos 3-4)
NOTE: I’ve tried making these, both with and without the bowl. With the bowl, the carrots get more caramelized and absorb more flavour.
Transfer the cooked air fryer carrots to a serving dish and enjoy!
How to make the spicy version
Chop your carrots in one inch pieces and place them in a mixing bowl. Add all the seasoning for the spicy version and then mix well. (photos 1-2)
Transfer them directly into the basket and cook them for 15-18 minutes, until edges are browned and crispy and carrots are fork tender. (photos 3-4)
Serve with an extra sprinkling of parsley and enjoy!
What kind of air fryer should I use?
However, any model with a basket will work for this recipe.
If you’re using a smaller model, your carrots will likely cook faster so start checking them around the 12 minute mark. Cook until tender or crispy.
Can I make these oil free?
Yes! For the sweet version, simply skip the optional butter.
For the spicy version, omit the oil and toss the carrots in vegetable broth instead.
How long do they keep?
These air fryer carrots are best enjoyed freshly made. However, you may keep leftovers in a sealed container in your fridge for 2-3 days.
To reheat, line them in a single layer and warm them up in your oven or toaster oven for best results.
You may also microwave them, however, watch carefully and don’t leave them too long or they may change texture and get a little rubbery.
- Cut your carrots as uniform as possible for even cooking. If you have some larger pieces, they won’t be as tender. If any pieces are too small, they may burn.
- Cooking time will vary depending on your Air Fryer model, and the size you cut all your carrots, so check on them while they’re cooking to get them just right.
- Use dried herbs over fresh as they tend to hold up better in this recipe.
- For less spice, omit the cayenne pepper, or increase to ¼ teaspoon for even spicier air fryer carrots.
- These carrots are so versatile so play with the seasoning to make your own unique combo. Some smoked paprika would add a nice smoky flavour, or add more depth with some cumin.
More delicious vegetable side dishes!
- Buffalo Cauliflower – These incredibly tasty and spicy bites are the perfect healthy dish when you’re craving pub food.
- Lemony Greek Potatoes – Who doesn’t love a good potato? These ones are crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy in the middle and completely bursting with flavour!
- Plantain Chips – These are sweet and spicy, super crispy (but baked) and incredibly addictive!
- Air Fryer Eggplant – No breading and no oil, just a tasty, simple, and healthy side dish for a nice alternative to roasted potatoes.
- Air Fryer Broccoli – Crispy, garlickly and slightly spicy makes this broccoli unforgettable! The perfect side to virtually any meal.
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates. Or check out my e-cookbook here.
- 1 lb carrots peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil or sub for veggie broth to make it oil free
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Peel and chop your carrots into approx. one inch pieces and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Then, depending on which version you're making (sweet or spicy), add each of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well to evenly coat the carrots.
- For the sweet version only, place the coated carrots in an oven safe dish that fits inside your air fryer basket. (So you don't lose all the syrup, and the carrots come more caramelized this way.)
- For the spicy version, transfer the coated carrots directly into the basket.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 15-18 minutes, or until tender. Enjoy!