Seasoned with poultry seasonings such as oregano, thyme, sage and rosemary, this vegan chicken burger just might fool your friends. This delicious crispy burger is vegan and omnivore approved, you don’t want to miss this one.
I really hate that saying. “Try this it tastes like chicken!” When people say something tastes like chicken, it usually doesn’t!
But, I swear this patty really does taste like chicken. It even looks like chicken! My husband, Mr. Healthy Kitchen was overly impressed!
How to prepare your vegan chicken burgers
This recipe is pretty easy to make, which is always a wonderful bonus! I love recipes that are simple AND delicious! Since I do a lot of meal prep, I often have leftover rice in my refrigerator. If you don’t, just quickly boil some or throw some in your rice cooker.
While your rice is going, you can start boiling your potatoes. Once fork tender, toss all your ingredients (except the oats) into a food processor until well combined, but do NOT over mix.
Add the oats last and pulse once or twice just to mix them through without breaking them down. Or transfer to a bowl and stir the oats in.
Your batter will be quite sticky, so make sure to use wet hands when forming your patties. This will help you form them, without the batter sticking to your hands. First make roughly tennis size balls, then flatten slightly into a patty shape.
Bake your vegan chicken patties for about 30 minutes, flipping around the 20 minute mark. Once cooked, these burgers really resemble chicken.
They are golden brown, crispy on the outside, and moist in the middle. YUM!
Serve your burgers with or without buns, but don’t forget the toppings! Go for lettuce, tomato, red onion and mayo for a classic combo.
OR skip the bun and opt for some delicious and EASY 3 Minute Guacamole on top!
How long do they keep?
These patties will keep refrigerated for 2-3 days. Just reheat in the oven or toaster oven until heated through.
Or, cook as directed and freeze the patties in an air tight container with sheets of parchment paper between each one.
What to serve with vegan chicken burgers
Or serve with a light and flavourful soup like this Vegan Mushroom Veloute.
More Favourite Sandwich & Burger Recipes
- 5 Minute Chickpea Salad Sandwich [Oil Free]
- Sweet Potato Bean Burger (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Vegan Sloppy Joes Instant Pot (Soup or Sandwich!)
- Pumpkin Black Bean Burgers [Oil Free]
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 cups russet potato peeled & diced, (approx 2 large potatoes)
- 1.5 cups chickpeas cooked or canned
- 2-4 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1 cup quick cooking steel cut oats or rolled oats
- Cover your diced potatoes with salted water in a large skillet, and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using your food processor, add the brown rice, potatoes, chickpeas, water (starting with 2 tablespoons and add more if needed) and all the seasonings, and process until combined, but do not over process. Then add the oats and pulse once or twice to mix them in, without over processing.
- Using wet hands (as the batter will be sticky, and this will help you form your patties), form a ball, approx 2.5"-3" in diameter and then flatten slightly. Place on your prepared baking tray. Repeat with remaining mixture. You should get about 8 large veggie patties.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then carefully flip and bake for another 10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Serve your vegan chicken burgers with red onion, pickles, 3 Minute Guacamole, or your favourite burger toppings.