What is mushroom veloute?
Mushroom veloute is a classic French mushroom soup dish that often begins by making a roux (a mixture of fat and flour used as a thickening agent).
However, in the interest of making this low in calories and fat, I’m skipping this step, with brilliant results. This classic French dish is creamy, velvety, flavourful, savoury, and perfect for dunking crusty bread. All of these wonderful elements are in my low fat version, so I know you’ll love this. 🙂
How do you make vegan mushroom soup?
This recipe is very simple to make and comes together quickly. Begin by sautéing your mushrooms, garlic and thyme in a pot with a tiny bit of water to prevent sticking. Since I’m keeping this one low in fat, I’m skipping the oil and using water instead.
Once reduced, add the broth, miso paste and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat and stir in your milk.
Typically, this recipe calls for cream. I’m keeping this soup lighter and healthier, by subbing the cream with plant based milk, specifically my Homemade Cashew Milk. If you want to make this nut free, you may sub for soy milk instead.
Finally, using a hand or immersion blender, puree the soup until nice and creamy, and you’re done!
What should I serve with vegan mushroom soup?
I like to garnish this soup with Cashew Cream and some fresh parsley or cilantro. You may also garnish with hemp hearts or crispy shallots, or even chili flakes or hot sauce to spice it up a little.
You definitely want to serve this soup with crusty bread, or a french baguette for soaking up the delicious broth.
If you enjoy this recipe, which I have no doubt you will, 🙂 – you may want to give these vegan creamy soups a try!
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup (with Stove Top Directions)
- Dairy Free Jalapeno Popper Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- Creamy Autumn Soup w/ Squash & Pumpkin
- Vegan Tomato Bisque
- Roasted Carrot & Fennel Soup
- Or check out some of the best vegan soup recipes you’ll ever need here!
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 lb cremini or baby bella mushrooms roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 3 tbsp lemon juice approx 1 medium lemon
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk or plant milk of choice
- salt + pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, or deep skillet, add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme and a couple drops of water to prevent sticking. Sauté until the mushrooms are reduced, approx. 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, miso paste and lemon juice and bring to a low boil, cooking for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the milk, and then use an immersion blender to puree your soup OR transfer to a blender. Taste and add salt and pepper, only if needed, and serve with crusty bread.