This vegan cobb salad is a perfect breakfast (or anytime) salad. Its full of delicious, well rounded flavours and textures and will certainly satisfy. This tasty salad is a wonderful brunch or potluck option as well. It travels well, and the mushrooms taste great warm or cold.
Salad for breakfast, you ask? Yes absolutely. We enjoy this salad often when we have family brunch. The smoky mushrooms are sorta “bacony” and the rich avocado compliments them perfectly.
As an added bonus, this dish is also gluten free and oil free, suitable for all eaters.
How to make the Tangy “Cheesy” Dressing
Just add all the ingredients into your blender and process until smooth and creamy. Depending on the level of thickness you prefer in your dressing, you may add a little more or less water as desired.
I personally enjoy a dressing that is slightly thicker in consistency. But if you want a thinner dressing, add an additional tablespoon or two of water. Transfer your dressing to a jar or container while you prepare the salad.
How to prepare the smoky mushrooms
Scrub and slice your mushrooms, then add them to a large skillet, along with the tamari, maple syrup and smoked paprika. (If you don’t have tamari, and are not avoiding gluten, you may sub for soy sauce.)
Sauté the mushrooms for about 7-10 minutes, until the liquids are absorbed and mushrooms reduced. The smoky deliciousness from the mushrooms will give your cobb salad that bacon flavour you’re looking for, minus the bacon of course!
Once your mushrooms are ready, assemble your vegan cobb salad in a large serving dish. You may arrange the toppings in rows as I’ve done, or scatter them all on top. Either way, this salad will definitely impress! This crowd pleasing salad is:
- filling and satisfying
All while being…
- oil free
- plant based
- gluten free
- nut free
- high in protein and iron
Serve the tangy dressing on the side and allow everyone to dress their own salad to their liking. I like just a drizzling of dressing on mine, vs drenching it, to maintain the crispiness of the lettuce. Especially if you’ll be transporting the salad somewhere, it’s best to keep the dressing separate.
If you enjoy this vegan cobb salad, you might also like these!
- White Bean Cabbage Salad w/ Avocado Orange Dressing
- Coleslaw Salad w/ Oil Free Thai Peanut Dressing
- Strawberry Spinach Salad w/ Berry Basil Dressing
- Vegan Chicken Salad [GF + Oil Free]
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
For the Dressing
For the Dressing
- Add all ingredients to your blender and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl or jar and set aside.
For the Salad
- In a large skillet, add the sliced mushrooms, tamari, maple syrup and smoked paprika. Sauté until reduced and liquids absorbed and evaporated. This should take about 7-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Arrange your lettuce in a large serving tray and add all the toppings on top. I lined my toppings in rows, but you may arrange however you like. Serve your salad with the dressing on the side so everyone can dress their own salad as desired.