Oil free cowboy caviar is just as wonderful and flavourful as its traditional recipe. In fact, you won’t miss the oil at all. Bonus, I replace (and reduce) the refined sugar typically found in this dish with maple syrup. So go ahead and dig in to this healthy, nourishing, jam packed with flavour dip, that also doubles as a salad.
What is Cowboy Caviar?
Cowboy caviar, also known as Texas caviar is a truly flavourful dish that is budget friendly, and perfect for dipping. It typically consists of black eyed peas, vegetables and a tangy and sweet vinaigrette.
Black eyed peas are said to bring good luck, and traditionally eaten on New Year’s Day to bring prosperity for the new year. But I think this dish can bring good luck all year long. It’s colourful ingredients make it a wonderful summer dish, and it’s perfectly dippable, making it great for parties any time of the year. Use it as a dip with chips or crackers, as a salad, or even a relish!
What goes in to my cowboy caviar?
- black eyed peas
- black beans
- corn (frozen and thawed for convenience, or you may use roasted or canned)
- red onion
- red bell pepper (you may use any colour)
- cilantro (you may omit or replace with parsley if you belong to “cilantro tastes like soap” club)
Then I top it with an oil free vinaigrette made using:
- fresh lemon juice
- fresh lime juice
- balsamic vinegar
- maple syrup
- smoked paprika
What else can you add to Cowboy Caviar?
This super adaptable dish can be made to your tastes. You may also add black olives, celery, garlic, green onion or TEQUILA! You’re welcome.
How long does Cowboy Caviar keep?
You may prepare the ingredients ahead, but I recommend dressing the dish no more than a few hours before serving as some of the veggies will soften. The dish will keep about 3-4 days in the refrigerator, if it lasts that long!
For more easy party dips:
- Peanut Butter Hummus [Oil Free]
- Oil Free Dillicious White Bean Dip
- Sweet Hummus Fruit Dip [V+GF]
- 3 Minute Easy Guacamole
- Easy Dairy Free Sour Cream (Cashew Cream)
- Beautiful Beet Hummus [V+GF]
- 1 13.5 oz can black eyed peas drained & rinsed (approx 1.5 cups)
- 1 13.5 oz can black beans drained & rinsed (approx 1.5 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper diced (or colour of choice)
- 2 firm roma tomatoes diced
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed (or canned)
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped & seeds removed
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (or parsley)
For the Dressing
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or sweet