What is Cowboy Caviar?
Cowboy caviar, also known as Texas caviar is a truly flavourful, budget friendly dish that is perfect for dipping.
It typically uses black eyed peas, (said to bring luck!) combined with chopped vegetables and a tangy, sweet dressing.
As I mentioned above, black eyed peas are said to bring good luck, and traditionally eaten on New Year’s Day to bring prosperity for the new year.
But I think this dish can bring good luck all year long!
It’s colourful ingredients make it a wonderful spring or summer time dish, and it’s perfectly dippable, making it great for parties any time of the year.
How to make cowboy caviar?
Gather your ingredients.
Of course, I’m using black eyed peas as traditionally meant to be.
To mine I add black beans for extra heartiness, chopped veggies, fresh herbs and sweet corn.
To make the oil free vinaigrette I use freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and smoked paprika. (See the full recipe below.)
Then pour the dressing over the salad and mix well to combine.
This super adaptable dish can be made to your tastes, and to suit what you have on hand.
- If you belong to the “cilantro tastes like soap” club, sub the cilantro for fresh parsley or dill.
- Use frozen and thawed corn, or canned corn, or even leftover corn on the cobb. Anything works here.
- For the bell pepper, I use red, but any colour you have works great.
- If you want extra heat, use more jalapeno. Or add some cayenne pepper or a splash or two of hot sauce to your cowboy caviar dressing.
- You may also add black olives, celery, garlic, avocado, green onion or TEQUILA! You’re welcome.
How long does it keep?
You may prepare the ingredients ahead, but I recommend dressing the dish no more than a few hours before serving as some of the veggies will soften.
Cowboy caviar keeps about 3-4 days in the refrigerator, if it lasts that long!
For more easy party dips
- Peanut Butter Hummus
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Oil Free Dill Pickle White Bean Dip
- Sweet Hummus Fruit Dip
- 3 Minute Easy Guacamole
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 13.5 oz can black eyed peas drained & rinsed (approx 1.5 cups)
- 1 13.5 oz can black beans drained & rinsed (approx 1.5 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper diced (or colour of choice)
- 2 firm roma tomatoes diced
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed (or canned)
- 1/3 cup red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped & seeds removed
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (or parsley or dill)
For the Dressing
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or sweet