Homemade vegan tortilla chips are ready in no time and there is no oil needed. It’s the perfect crunchy snack when that chip craving strikes, with zero guilt attached.
These WFPB (whole food plant based) tortilla chips are made with only a few ingredients and are 100% oil free for a low fat alternative to potato chips and tostitos.
Since I’ve had several requests for WFPB tortilla chips, I decided to experiment. Luckily, these vegan chips came out PERFECTLY the very first time I tested them. That didn’t stop me from making another two batches immediately afterwards, though. 😉
These vegan tortilla chips are crunchy and hold up well with dip. So that makes them perfect for pairing with our mango habanero salsa, or our pineapple pico de gallo. But if you don’t have time to make both the chips and the dip, store bought salsa works well, too!
Ingredients + Substitutions
You’ll only need three ingredients plus an optional fourth for this tortilla chip recipe.
- Corn tortillas: I’m using corn tortillas that are six inches in diameter. You may use any size, just cut more or less chips if using smaller or bigger tortillas. Corn tortillas are the only type of wrap I have found in grocery stores without oil, and without a long list of ingredients.
- Limes: Freshly squeezed lime juice is used to brush the tops of your chips to add a touch of zesty flavour and it also helps the salt to stick to your oil-free tortilla chips.
- Salt + garlic powder: Optional seasoning for added flavour. If you prefer your chips unsalted, or are on a low sodium diet, feel free to reduce or skip.
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Place your tortilla wraps in an even stack on a cutting board. (photo 1)
Use a pizza cutter to slice the tortillas into four quarters. (photo 2)
Arrange the chips in a single layer on your baking sheet. Then brush them with the lime juice. (photo 3)
Next, sprinkle the chips with salt and garlic powder, if using. (Or other seasoning.) (photo 4)
Bake your vegan tortilla chips until golden brown and crispy, but watch carefully towards the end of cooking to prevent them from burning. (photo 5)
Remove from the oven and serve with red or green salsa, or dip of choice.
Dips to serve with your homemade chips
Not feeling salsa? Try one of these dips instead!
- Vegan Beer Cheese Dip
- Guacamole OR Venezuelan Guasacaca
- Vegan Sour Cream [Cashew Cream]
- Nut Free Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Dill Pickle Hummus, Beet Hummus, or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Cowboy Caviar Dip
Want to change up the flavour of your vegan tortilla chips? The options are almost endless! Here’s some ideas for you.
- Nacho cheese: Brush with lemon juice and sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.
- Dill pickle: Brush with white vinegar and sprinkle some salt and dill on top.
- BBQ: Brush with aquafaba (or oil if you’re not avoiding it) and sprinkle with smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and brown sugar.
- Ranch: Brush with white vinegar and sprinkle with dill, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Spicy: Brush with lime juice and sprinkle a touch of cayenne pepper on top.
- Italian: Brush with aquafaba (or oil if you’re not avoiding it) and sprinkle with oregano, parsley, garlic powder, and salt.
- Chili Lime: Brush with lime juice and sprinkle with chili powder and paprika.
- Churros: Brush with aquafaba and sprinkle some brown sugar and cinnamon.
Or check out our black bean chips for another variation.
Your corn tortilla chips will keep fresh and crispy at room temperature in a ziptop bag for 2-3 days if you can manage not to eat them all in one sitting. 😉
Do not freeze.
- I’m using six-inch corn tortilla wraps and sliced each one into four quarters to make perfectly sized restaurant-style chips. If you’re using larger wraps, you may want to slice them into six pieces.
- Check on your tortilla chips often towards the end of cooking. The chips will go from perfectly done, to overdone pretty quickly, so use your oven timer to set reminders.
More delicious snacky recipes
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 8 six inch corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons lime juice approx. 1 large lime
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stack the corn tortillas in an even pile on a cutting board. Then use a pizza cutter to slice them into four quarters. (If using larger wraps, slice into six pieces instead.)
- Arrange the cut tortilla chips in an even layer on your baking sheets. Then brush each one with lime juice and evenly sprinkle with salt and garlic powder, if using.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, checking often towards the end of cooking. You want them golden brown and crispy, but not overly done.