Roasted red pepper hummus is smoky, rich, and super flavourful. Made with roasted from scratch peppers with an easy peasy shortcut that will really amp up your hummus game!
We love hummus in my house, so I’m always looking for different ways to make it! I’ve been buying roasted red pepper hummus from Costco for years! Finally I decided to try and make some for myself! Why haven’t I made it before now? This hummus is such a hit. It turned out even better than expected! Absolute yum! The best part? SO EASY!
I often have roasted red peppers in my freezer ready to use in soups or other recipes. My mom likes to make a big batch every August when the peppers are in season. For the sake of starting this recipe from scratch and giving you a start to finish recipe, I’m roasting these myself.
How to roast your peppers
First, cut them into flat pieces (so they don’t roll) and place them skin side up on a baking tray.
Place the tray on your top rack of your oven and broil the peppers until the skin is mostly blackened.
Then peel the skin. The blacker they are, the easier it will be to remove the skin. Although it will remove quite easily, you may use a fork to help scrape the skin off, if needed.
I keep 1-2 pieces aside to chop up and use as a garnish, but you may skip the garnish if preferred.
How to make roasted red pepper hummus
Once your peppers are ready, the work is pretty much done. Add them along with all remaining ingredients to your food processor and process until combined and desired consistency is achieved.
I typically serve my roasted red pepper hummus with veggies, but occasionally indulge and enjoy with pita bread or corn chips. The choice is yours! 🙂
Want more hummus recipes? Check out these!
- Beautiful Beet Hummus [V+GF]
- Sweet Hummus Fruit Dip [V+GF]
- Peanut Butter Hummus [Oil Free]
- Easy Pumpkin Spice Hummus
- Chocolate Brownie Dessert Hummus
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 2 red bell peppers cored and quartered
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 4 tbsp olive oil or water if avoiding oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Set your oven to broil and place your peppers skin side up on a baking tray. Broil for approx 5-6 minutes, until skin is blackened.
- When peppers are cool enough to handle, remove the skins, using a knife to help if needed. The blackened skins will be easy to remove. Keep 1 piece of pepper aside to use as a garnish if desired and finely dice it.
- Roughly chop the remaining pieces of pepper and add them to your food processor along with all the other ingredients. Process until well combined and creamy.
- Garnish with the diced pepper if using and serve with veggies, pita or corn chips.