You might remember my Asian Slaw Vegan Wraps with Cauliflower Rice, with its peanutty Thai flavours. Since then, I’ve had a couple requests for more wrap recipes, so I’m bringing you this seriously uh-mazing, jam packed with flavour recipe that I know you will love. More of a sandwich person than a wrap? Try this 5 Minute Chickpea Salad Sandwich instead.
These chickpea wraps are perfect for party platters, and they even make great holiday appetizers with festive cranberries and pecans throughout. They’re ready in 30 minutes, with no cooking required. Plus, they’re suitable for vegans, vegetarians, and gluten free eaters, as long as you’re buying gluten free wraps, of course. Ready for this?
What’s in my smashed chickpea salad?
For the chickpea salad, I’m using:
- One can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed, to deliver protein and nutrients with a mild flavour that will absorb the saucy goodness.
- A diced up stalk of celery for delicious crunch and flavour throughout.
- One granny smith apple for tart, juiciness, and more crunch.
- Pecans, for even more protein, but delicious nuttiness.
- Dried, unsweetened cranberries for pops of colour and a little more tart throughout.
Now, let’s talk about the rich, delicious, luscious dressing!
- The base is made using cashews that have been soaked in hot water for at least 15 minutes. Soaking the cashews makes them easier to blend, and results in a creamier texture, without any graininess.
- Water, apple cider vinegar for acid, and the perfect blend of seasoning take creamy cashews to an absolutely extraordinary level of deliciousness! I use sage and thyme to add a little bit of poultry flavour to this incredible salad.
How to prepare your wraps
First, put your cashews to soak in hot water, while you prepare the salad. Gather the remaining dressing ingredients and add them to your blender. Then once the cashews are ready, you may drain and add them to the blender and process until smooth and creamy.
Meanwhile, while the cashews are soaking, drain and rinse your chickpeas and place them in a mixing bowl. Using a large fork or potato masher, smash the chickpeas, without overly mashing them. You want to keep some chunky pieces for great texture.
Then add the diced celery, apple, chopped pecans, and cranberries.
Now blend up your dressing if you haven’t already and pour it over the salad and mix well, ensuring the ingredients are evenly coated.
TIP: When preparing your ingredients, chop the apple last to prevent browning. Once mixed with the dressing, they will no longer brown.
How to securely wrap up your wraps
When your salad is ready, you may enjoy as is or prepare it into wraps.
Lay out your tortilla wraps of choice and add a handful of baby spinach to the center. Then add about one sixth of the smashed chickpea salad on top.
Fold over two sides of the wrap to make neat little pockets so your filling won’t fall out, and roll up the wrap.
Optionally, but recommended, grill your wraps, seal side down on a panini press or indoor grill. This not only adds delicious crunch to the wrap itself, but also helps to seal it, keeping the filling in place. Then slice each one in half and serve.
Alternatively, if serving a large crowd, you may make these wraps into pinwheels instead, giving you more portions.
To do so, use a little less spinach and chickpea salad in a thin layer down the center of the wrap. Then tightly roll the wrap up, without tucking in the sides from the bottom up. Keep tucking the wrap in securely as you roll it up. Then slice into roughly 2″ intervals to make your pinwheels. Secure them with toothpicks if needed. Enjoy!
These wraps are great for parties and potlucks. They make a delicious lunch, or even a starter for your holiday menu. I really think you’re going to love these, and I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below.
For more great recipes that are perfect for entertaining, check out these.
- Baked Zucchini Tater Tots [Vegan+GF+Oil Free]
- Sweet & Spicy Baked Plantain Chips
- Asian Slaw Vegan Wraps with Cauliflower Rice
- Oil Free Cowboy Caviar Dip
- Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms with Italian Style Risotto
- 3 Minute Easy Guacamole
- Vegan Parmesan Carrot Fries [Oil Free]
- Sweet & Spicy Mango Salsa
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
For the Salad
- 1 15oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1 medium celery stalk diced
- 1 medium granny smith apple diced
- 1/3 cup pecans roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
For the Dressing
For the Wrap
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 6 10" whole grain tortilla wraps or wraps of choice, gluten free if needed
- Start by soaking your cashews in boiling hot water for 15 minutes, and then drain.
- Meanwhile, add your chickpeas to a large mixing bowl and use a masher or large fork to smash most of the chickpeas, don't worry about getting every single one. Add in all remaining salad ingredients and mix well.
- By now your cashews should be ready, so drain them and add to a small blender along with all remaining dressing ingredients and process until smooth. Pour the dressing over your salad and mix well to coat all the ingredients. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Lay out your six wraps, add a small handful spinach to the center and 1/6 of your chickpea salad on top. Fold over the two opposite sides and then roll it up. This method will prevent anything from falling out.
- Optional: Grill your wraps, fold side down on a panini press or indoor grill to seal and lightly toast your wrap. This adds a nice crunch and gorgeous grill lines. You may then cut each wrap in half and serve.
- Alternatively, you may cut your wraps into pinwheels. For this method, add a single thin layer of spinach on your wrap, followed by a thin layer of the chickpea salad. Then tightly roll the wrap up from the bottom up. Then slice the wrap in approximately 2" intervals. Secure with toothpicks if needed.