Homemade mayo is simple to make and just as tasty as store bought, with far better ingredients, healthy fats and it’s allergen friendly too. This vegan mayo features no eggs, no oil, no dairy, no soy, and no nuts, but ALL the delicious tangy mayo-y flavour you’re looking for, promise. Bonus!! Ready in 5 minutes or less.
Store bought mayo tends to have a ton of oil, making it very high in calories and fat. So naturally, I wanted to make a lower calorie and lower fat, far healthier version.
Reasons you’ll love this vegan mayo recipe!
- This oil free vegan mayo is made using completely wholesome ingredients. But just because you’re eating healthy and wholesome, does NOT mean sacrificing on flavour! Trust me, this vegan mayo will NOT disappoint!
- While there are a ton of egg free mayo and vegan mayo recipes out there, most of them call for a TON of oil. This version requires no oil at all.
- Allergen friendly! As I was searching for an option without oil, I found tofu or cashews as the common base ingredient. Now, nothing wrong with either, unless you have a soy and/or nut allergy. This version is free from both soy and nuts.
What’s the greenish hue?
Enter delicious pumpkin seeds! (aka pepitas)
Yes, the colour of this vegan mayo is not quite as white as what you may be accustomed to when using pumpkin seeds.
BUT, I promise, it is SO SO good! And SO SO close to the real deal. I bet if you close your eyes and taste it, you might think it IS the real deal!
So you ready for this?
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
First of all, there’s no soaking required. YAY!
That means you can have this delicious oil free vegan mayo ready to consume in only 5 minutes flat!
Begin by gathering your ingredients, many of which you probably already have in your fridge and pantry.
- shelled pumpkin seeds (or pepitas)
- apple cider vinegar
- lemon juice
- prepared mustard (the regular yellow stuff you buy at the store, not powdered)
- onion powder
- black salt (optional but recommended)
The optional 8th ingredient, black salt really adds that “eggy” flavour to the mayo, but if you don’t have any, and don’t want to venture out to get some, I promise it’s still great without it.
First, grind your pumpkin seeds in your blender to get a pulverized flour like consistency.
This will help to ensure there are no loose bits of seeds floating around in your mayo later, making it creamier and perfectly textured.
Then add all remaining ingredients and process until smooth and creamy, using a little more or less water depending on your thickness preference.
How long does it keep?
Store your vegan mayonnaise in an air tight jar or container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
Alternatively, you may refrigerate some and freeze the rest to keep longer if you don’t think you’ll consume it all on time.
Freeze for up to 2 months.
How to use homemade mayo
Use this oil free vegan mayo in any way you would regular mayonnaise!
More delicious vegan spreads without oil
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Add the pumpkin seeds to your blender and process until they are broken down and a flour like consistency.
- Now add all remaining ingredients and process until smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate until ready to use, as it tastes best when cold.