Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce, typically used for grilled meats. It is made using fresh herbs (mainly parsley) and spices, combined with olive oil. In the interest of keeping this oil free, and far fewer calories and fat, I opted for some freshly squeezed lime juice and red wine vinegar in lieu of oil. The taste is equally fantastic and pairs perfectly with your favourite grilled foods. This sauce pairs particularly well with grilled tomatoes, grilled zucchini, and even grilled mushrooms. Or you might also enjoy this sauce as a burger topping.
How do you make chimichurri sauce?
This simple recipe requires zero skill and zero cooking. Just gather your ingredients.
- cilantro (you may use additional parsley instead of cilantro if preferred)
- lime juice
- red wine vinegar
Add all the ingredients to a food processor, except the liquids and process until very finely chopped.
Once chopped, you may transfer the contents to a bowl, add the liquids and stir. Or you can also add the liquids directly to your food processor and pulse once or twice. Just enough to combine, but do not over process once the liquids are added. Otherwise, you may end up with a paste looking sauce which is not what you want.
Store your chimichurri in a jar or container and let rest for an hour or so before using. This resting times allows the flavours to properly blend with one another. Then serve with your favourite grilled foods.
Feel free to customize this recipe to your liking. Want some heat? Spice it up with a pinch or cayenne or red chili flakes. Or add smoky flavour with a touch of smoked paprika. You may also want to try lemon over lime. This recipe can be modified to suit your needs and palette. Enjoy!
If you enjoy this sauce, you might also like to check out these!
- Homemade Spicy Enchilada Sauce
- Oil Free Dillicious White Bean Dip
- Cayenne Spicy Dip – Dairy Free
- Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce [Nut Free+Oil Free]
- 1 cup parsley packed (thick stems removed)
- 1/2 cup cilantro packed (thick stems removed)
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Add all the ingredients, except the lime juice and the vinegar to your food processor. Process until finely chopped.
- Then transfer the herbs to a bowl and add the lime juice and vinegar and stir. Let rest for 1 hour to allow flavours to blend well and serve with your favourite grilled foods.