These “skinny” Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are flavourful and satisfying, without the added fat from oil or dairy. So if you’re looking for lower calorie comfort food options, this one is for you! These mashed potatoes get all their creaminess using unsweetened cashew milk. Or you may sub for your favourite dairy free milk instead.
How do you make mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot?
Peel your potatoes and slice them into roughly 1/4″ thick slices. Place the sliced potatoes, along with 3 cups of water (or enough to cover them) and 1 teaspoon of salt in your Instant Pot. Then lock the lid in place, ensuring the valve is set to the seal position. Set to manual pressure for 8 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes before the pot reaches pressure, and then the 8 minutes will begin to countdown. Once complete, turn the valve to quickly release all the pressure and open the lid once safe. Drain your potatoes and return them to the same pot.
Now add your milk, garlic powder, salt to taste, and vegan butter or margarine if using, and mash your potatoes using a potato masher. Once smooth and creamy, serve and enjoy!
Not sure what to serve with your delicious potatoes? These luscious, creamy, velvety mashed potatoes pair perfectly with my Smoked Maple Glaze Chickpea Meatloaf! They’d also make a great side for your favourite veggie burger. Check out exhibit A, B, or C. 🙂
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also enjoy these Instant Pot recipes.
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto [V+GF]
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup (with Stove Top Directions)
- Asparagus Lemon Risotto Instant Pot [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Vegan Sloppy Joes Instant Pot (Soup or Sandwich!)
- Instant Pot Unstuffed Peppers [V+GF]
- Perfectly Fluffy Coconut Rice – Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
- Potato Masher
- 3 lbs russet or yukon gold potatoes
- 3 cups water or enough to just cover potatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk or almond milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or margarine optional
Instant Pot Directions
- Peel your potatoes, and slice them into 1/4" rounds. Place them in your Instant Pot with the teaspoon of salt and enough water to just cover your potatoes, about 3 cups. Lock the lid, turning the valve to the sealing position, and set to high pressure for 8 minutes. (It will take about 10 minutes to reach pressure, and then the timer will start counting down.)
- When the timer completes, quick release the pressure, and open the lid once safe to do so. Drain your potatoes, return them to the pot and add the milk, garlic powder, and butter if using. Then mash with a potato masher until smooth and creamy. Add more salt if desired and serve immediately.
Stove Top Directions
- Peel your potatoes, and slice them into 1/4" rounds. Place them in a large pot with the teaspoon of salt and enough water to just cover your potatoes, about 3 cups. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until fork tender, approx 12-15 minutes.
- Drain your potatoes and return to the pot. Add the milk, garlic powder and butter if using. Then mash with a potato masher until smooth and creamy. Add more salt if desired and serve immediately.