Instant Pot mushroom risotto is super flavourful and so simple to make. This tested and perfected recipe for risotto tastes JUST as great as the long, stove top method.
I’ve been making mushroom risotto for years, the traditional (long) Italian way. 😉
I’ve been interested to try it in my Instant Pot for a while now but honestly was quite skeptical. There’s no cheating when making risotto if you want it to come out right. And well, I thought I’d be cheating by making in my trusty Instant Pot.
I don’t think I’ll ever do it the stove top way again! I am truly amazed that it tastes EXACTLY the same with the added bonus of being HANDS OFF! Yep, it’s a good day.
How to make Instant Pot mushroom risotto?
1. Turn on your Instant Pot to the sauté function and add your cooking oil. If you’re oil free, you may use water or broth instead. Once HOT, add the mushrooms and shallots and sauté until softened. If using water or broth over oil, you may need to add a little more every couple of minutes to avoiding sticking.
2. Add your rice and stir into the mushroom, shallot and oil (or water/broth) mixture. Stir continuously for 30 seconds to a minute.
3. Then pour in the wine and stir often until the wine is mostly absorbed by the rice. Traditional risotto calls for white wine, and although highly recommended, if you cannot have wine, you may use more vegetable broth for this step instead. You will still get amazing results.
4. Finally pour in all your broth and push down any loose rice that may have gotten stuck to the sides of your pot so that it is all covered by the liquids. Close the lid and seal the valve. Set to manual pressure for 6 minutes and step aside while your Instant Pot works its magic.
5. When the timer is up, quick release the pressure and open the lid once safe. You may have a little extra broth that hasn’t fully absorbed yet. Don’t worry.
6. Add the butter or margarine (if using), give it a quick stir and close the lid again for about 1-2 minutes. Then open the lid again and give your risotto another stir. Instant Pot mushroom risotto complete! Now serve and enjoy!
Garnish your plates with chives or green onion if desired. You may also sprinkle some Vegan Parmesan Cheese over top.
Then, that bottle of wine, for which you only used half a cup for this recipe? Yup, pour yourself a glass (or two), and enjoy.
Are you mushroom risotto obsessed like I am? I also highly recommend these Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms with Italian Style Risotto!
More favourite Instant Pot recipes!
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Vegan Sloppy Joes Instant Pot (Soup or Sandwich!)
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
- Instant Pot Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
- Perfectly Fluffy Coconut Rice – Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Unstuffed Peppers [V+GF]
- Add the oil (or use water if avoiding oil) to your Instant Pot and set to the sauté function. Add your mushrooms and shallots and sauté until softened, approx 5 minutes.
- Then add the rice and sauté for one minute, then add the white wine. Let the wine mostly absorb, stirring often. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Then turn off the Instant Pot and dump in the broth and salt. Close the lid and set the valve to seal. Set it to high pressure for 6 minutes. (It will take about 10-15 minutes to build pressure before the timer begins to countdown.) Once the timer completes, quick release the pressure and open the lid once safe to do so. Stir in the margarine if using and close the lid for about 1-2 minutes to let it melt and allow any excess moisture to absorb.
- Serve garnished with chives and vegan parmesan cheese if desired.