This Instant Pot Mexican casserole just might combine all of my favourite things! An easy recipe, made even easier in a set it and forget it appliance made using healthy, wholesome ingredients. It’s filling, flavourful, and SO satisfying. And as usual, it’s under 400 calories a serving!
Low calorie meals that are truly filling are not always easy to come by. This one will not disappoint! Plus, it’s vegan, gluten free, oil free and well…it’s AH-mazing!
What do you need to make this delicious Instant Pot Mexican Casserole recipe?
- black beans that have been soaked overnight (or my quick soak method, see recipe notes below)
- brown rice
- tomato paste
- 5 minutes
- an appetite!
- plus a few garnishes to pretty up your bowl 🙂
What toppings go on a Mexican casserole?
I like mine topped with diced tomato, fresh cilantro, white onion, sliced avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime.
If you want to take this one step further, make some 3 Minute Easy Guacamole to top your bowl.
Or if you’re really in a hurry, you can save on time, and use your favourite salsa.
How do you prepare this Mexican recipe?
Soak your beans the night before for the best texture.
When you’re ready to cook, drain and add them along with all remaining ingredients to your Instant Pot.
Set it to manual pressure for 30 minutes, and let the magic happen!
YES! It’s that easy.
If you’re new to using an Instant Pot, plan for a few extra minutes for the pot to reach pressure. (Usually around 10 minutes for this recipe.) Plus another 10 minutes to naturally release, before quick releasing the remaining pressure.
More easy Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
- Instant Pot Vegan Chili (or stove top)
- BBQ Jackfruit Pizza
- Instant Pot Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
- Vegan Sloppy Joes (Soup or Sandwich!)
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 cup dry/uncooked black beans soaked overnight
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 5 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Drain your beans and add all the ingredients into your Instant Pot. Mix to combine, then close the lid, ensuring the valve is set to sealing. Set on high pressure for 30 minutes. (It will take about 10-15 minutes to build pressure before counting down.) Let it naturally release for 10 minutes, and then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Serve with diced tomato, cilantro, guacamole, avocado, jalapeno, or any of your favourite Mexican toppings.