Simple and delicious mushroom barley soup is low in fat, but rich in flavour. With only 6 ingredients required this earthy, unami, vegan mushroom soup is a must try.
Mushrooms are one of my favourite foods of all time. I absolutely adore them. This recipe for vegetarian mushroom barley soup is so “mushroomy” and bursting with flavour.
But if you’re still with me, let’s get right to it.
How to make mushroom barley soup
This soup recipe is so simple, and only 6 ingredients required. (Plus salt and pepper.)
Gather your ingredients:
- Vegan butter or margarine: skip for oil free and sauté in water or broth instead.
- Cremini mushrooms
- Low sodium vegetable broth
Then slice up your mushrooms, shallots and garlic and start by melting your butter or margarine (if using) in a medium size pot.
Once melted (or use water or broth if avoiding oil/butter) add the mushrooms, shallots and garlic to the pot.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then sauté over medium heat for about 6-8 minutes. You want the mushrooms to really reduce and the flavour from the shallot and garlic to blend nicely.
Next, add the broth and the barley and bring your pot of soup to a boil.
Cook over medium/high heat until the barley is cooked, approximately 35-40 minutes.
Taste and add more salt and pepper, as desired. Then serve your vegan mushroom soup sprinkled with fresh parsley or chives.
How long does it keep?
Vegan mushroom barley soup keeps refrigerated for 3-4 days. The barley will continue to absorb some of the broth as it sits, so when you’re reheating, add a little water or vegetable broth.
To freeze it, store in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks. Then thaw in the refrigerator when ready to use. Again, you’ll need to add a little broth or water when reheating as the barley will absorb much of it.
This robust, filling soup is surprisingly healthy, despite being comfort food. It’s the perfect soup to enjoy for a hearty lunch or dinner on a chilly day. It will warm your heart, soul, and your belly.
As an added bonus, barley is an excellent source of fiber and B group vitamins. Plus, it’s a filling grain that is low in calories to help reduce hunger and keep you feeling full longer.
However, if you’re on a gluten free diet, you may sub the barley for quinoa instead, and reduce the cook time to about 15-20 minutes. Or you may also sub for brown rice, and keep the cook time the same.
More healthy vegan soup recipes
- Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Pot Pie Stew
- Thai Peanut Chickpea Soup Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
- Vegan Pasta e Fagioli
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or margarine skip for oil free and saute in water or broth instead
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup pot barley
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
Stove Top Instructions
- Melt your butter or margarine, if using, in a medium size pot. Then add the shallots, garlic, and sliced mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until reduced, approx 6-8 minutes.
- Add the broth and barley, and bring to a boil with the lid on your pot, but slightly askew. Cook over medium/high heat until the barley is tender, approx 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once cooked, add a little more salt and pepper, to taste, and serve garnished with fresh parsley, if desired.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set your Instant Pot to the sauté function and add the butter to melt, if using. Add the shallots, garlic and sliced mushrooms and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Sauté until reduced, approx 6-8 minutes.
- Add the broth and the barley and close the lid. Make sure you set the valve to the sealing position and set to high pressure for 22 minutes. It will take about 10-15 minutes to build pressure and begin counting down.
- Once the timer is complete, quick release the steam valve and open the lid once safe to do so. Season with more salt and pepper if desired and serve garnished with fresh parsley.