All the great flavours of your favourite vegetable pot pie, in a lower carb stew option! Hello delicious, slow cooker, weeknight meal. This stew is a huge winner! Rich, creamy, velvety, and absolutely scrumptious.
This delicious stew with chunky vegetables is the solution to your busy weeknights, making dinner time a breeze. Throw everything into your slow cooker and head to work, or run your errands. Come home to a house that smells like your favourite, classic vegetable pot pie.
How to make vegetable pot pie stew
Just chop up all your veggies and toss them into your slow cooker in any order, along with the vegetable broth. No need to sauté anything first. Just let everything slowly cook together.
Once cooked, you will prepare your corn starch and water slurry. I do this by adding the ingredients to an airtight container or jar and shake them vigorously.
You may also prepare this ahead of time, but remember to re-shake or stir before adding to your stew.
By adding this mixture to your pot, it will thicken your broth to a nice, velvety consistency. If you do not have corn starch on hand, you may also use flour, choose a gluten free option if needed.
Keep in mind, you will need roughly double the amount of flour vs. cornstarch to achieve the same broth thickness.
Once thickened, add your milk to provide a little extra creaminess. Then serve and enjoy!
The soup will thicken even further as it cools. So don’t worry if it seems a little runny in your pot. Do not add more corn starch or it will get too thick.
Notice how velvety the broth becomes once cooked with the corn starch slurry. It’s the perfect bite of comforting soup.
You may serve with biscuits for a truly traditional pot pie experience. Or enjoy without to keep this dish a little lower in calories and carbs. Either way, you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!
More warm, comforting soup recipes
- Carrot Cauliflower Soup with Dill & Sage [V+GF]
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup (with Stove Top Directions)
- Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
- Dairy Free Jalapeno Popper Soup
- Creamy Autumn Soup w/ Squash & Pumpkin
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- Add all ingredients except the water, corn starch and milk to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Switch the slow cooker to high. Then in a small bowl or jar, combine your water and corn starch and mix well. (I shake vigorously in a sealed jar.) Add this mixture to your slow cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes. This will thicken your stew.
- Turn off your slow cooker, stir in the milk and serve.