It’s gluten free, making it a perfectly suitable choice for anyone with a gluten intolerance.
It’s also dairy and oil free. Plus, only one pot needed.
But my favourite part?
Only 145 calories a bowl! This low calorie recipe is a perfect option for weight loss or weight management.
All the while, the thick, creamy texture helps keep you feeling full and satisfied.
How do you make creamy soup without dairy?
Avocado gives this soup all its delicious, creamy, velvety texture. No cream or milk required here!
This soup is free from dairy, it’s made using wholesome ingredients, and no one will guess that avocado gives this soup its creaminess.
Not only do you not taste avocado, but it doesn’t even alter the colour of your soup.
So if you’re serving picky eaters (think children who hate the colour green), they will never have to know any different.
How do you make creamy carrot cauliflower soup?
To prepare your soup, begin by chopping up all your veggies. Don’t worry about uniform sized pieces since everything will be pureed later anyhow. A rough chop is perfectly fine and it saves you time on prep work.
Next, sauté your onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in a little water or broth until slightly softened.
If you’re really pressed for time, you can skip this step entirely, and just simmer everything together in one step. That being said, sautéing does add a little oomph of flavour, so if you can spare the 5 minutes, I recommend you do so.
When the veggies are soft, add all the remaining ingredients, except for the avocado.
Bring your soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or so. Just until the veggies are fork tender, but do not overcook.
Finally, puree your soup using an immersion blender. If you do not have an immersion blender, you may carefully transfer your soup in batches to your regular blender. Use extreme caution when pureeing hot liquids.
Lastly, add your avocado to the pot and puree once more. Then serve and enjoy! 🙂
If you enjoy this creamy soup, you might also like these!
- Broccoli Almond Soup
- Creamy Autumn Soup w/ Squash & Pumpkin
- Vegan Tomato Bisque
- Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- Dairy Free Jalapeno Popper Soup
- Vegan Cold Pear Soup
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large celery stalk roughly chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 large cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 sweet potato peeled & roughly chopped
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp dill weed
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 avocado peeled & pitted
- Add your onions, garlic, celery and carrots to a large pot with a tablespoon or two of water and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Then add all remaining ingredients except the avocado. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until veggies are fork tender.
- Turn off heat, and using an immersion blender, puree your soup. (If you do not have an immersion blender, you may carefully transfer to a blender.) Then add the avocado and puree once more.
- Serve garnished with extra dill or fresh sage if desired.
Instant Pot Directions
- Set your Instant Pot to the saute function, and add your onions, garlic, celery and carrots to a with a tablespoon or two of water (or oil) and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Then add all remaining ingredients except the avocado. Then secure the lid and set to high pressure for 5 minutes. (It will take about 15 minutes to reach pressure.)
- When the timer is complete, quick release the steam valve and open the lid once safe to do so. Then, using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Then add the pitted avocado and puree once more. (If you do not have an immersion blender, you may carefully transfer to a blender, in small batches.)