Want a nice spicy kick? This jalapeno popper soup combines “cheesiness” and heat to really pack a punch! It’s made using wholesome ingredients, with under 100 calories per bowl!! It’s also low in carbs and fat AND it’s ready in less than 20 minutes!
This soup idea is born much like many other recipes I’ve shared. When I just don’t know what to make for dinner, (or no longer want to make what I’ve planned for…). I open my fridge and just stare at the produce. Looking for the items that need to be consumed more urgently.
So, I have cauliflower and jalapenos to use! I have to admit, I was a little stumped at first. What can I make with cauliflower and jalapenos? I considered roasting them, but felt it wasn’t quite a complete meal. It’s getting very cold outside here in Canada, so hot soup naturally comes to mind.
So, how do I make cauliflower and jalapeno soup interesting? Then I finally had my aha moment!
Jalapeno popper soup!
How to make vegan jalapeno popper soup
Roughly chop all your veggies, and don’t worry about uniform sizes. Since the soup will be pureed later, we don’t need bite size pieces. Break the cauliflower florets into large chunks and rinse them, and set aside.
Add the onions and jalapenos to a large pot with the cooking oil. Sauté until softened and lightly browned. If you’re avoiding oil, feel free to sub with water or broth instead, stirring often to prevent burning, and adding more water as needed to prevent sticking.
Once sautéed, add all remaining ingredients and cook until the cauliflower is fork tender, which should take less than 10 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, puree your soup until smooth and creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you may carefully transfer your soup in batches to your blender. Use extreme caution when pureeing hot liquids.
Serve garnished with extra jalapeno slices to add some colour and even more heat if desired. A sprinkle of chili flakes and vegan parmesan cheese would also be great additions.
Did you enjoy this jalapeno popper soup? I’d love to hear your feedback including any changes you’ve made in the comments below!
Looking for more creamy soup recipes? Try these!
Savoury soup recipes
- Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
- Thai Peanut Chickpea Soup Instant Pot
- Vegan Sloppy Joes Instant Pot (Soup or Sandwich!)
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup (with Stove Top Directions)
Sweet soup recipes
- Vegan Cold Pear Soup
- Creamy Autumn Soup w/ Squash & Pumpkin
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup (Or Stove Top)
- Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- In a large pot, add the oil and sauté the onion and jalapenos for 3-5 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add all reamaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat to medium and cook until the cauliflower is fork tender, about 8 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree your soup until smooth and creamy. Or carefully transfer to a regular blender.
- Serve garnished with sliced jalapeno and vegan parmesan cheese if desired.