Instant Pot Peanut Soup is peanutty, savoury, and packed with big flavour! Featuring chunky veggies like sweet potato, zucchini and mushrooms, together with chickpeas in a creamy peanut broth. This healthy bowl of comfort food is not only delicious, but warming, comforting, and wholesome.
This recipe was originally published in August 2019 It has been updated for content and photos.
Why you’ll love it
- Nutty, rich and packed with Thai inspired flavour.
- A little spicy, just the right amount (in my humble opinion) but feel free to omit the spice, if preferred.
- The broth is super creamy, thanks to delicious peanut butter.
- No oil, keeping this dish lower in fat, compared to traditional versions.
- It’s naturally vegan and gluten free, making it suitable for all kinds of eaters.
- Super simple to make, just dump and start and enjoy this mouth watering dish.
And if you’re a soup lover like me, don’t miss this incredible collection of healthy vegan soup recipes too!
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients for your peanut soup and get everything chopped up. You may use your Instant Pot or stove top. Follow the cooking directions below for your method of choice.
Add all the ingredients to your pot and give it a good mix. (photos 1-2)
Pressure cook for 2 minutes (or follow stove top directions) and then quick release the steam valve and remove the lid immediately. (photo 3)
Serve your Instant Pot peanut soup garnished with green onion, chopped peanuts, sriracha, lime wedges, or any other desired toppings.
This dish would also be great served over a bed of rice, to soak up all the delicious peanut broth.
It wouldn’t be a “peanut soup” without the peanut butter. BUT, if you’re avoiding nuts due to allergens, you may sub for sun butter with similar results.
Of course. If there’s any veggie you’re not fond of, or don’t have on hand, just sub for something else you have and like. You may use white potatoes over sweet. Or add some chopped onion, peas or cauliflower.
If you want to add leafy greens like spinach or chard to your peanut soup, do so at the end. The heat from the pot is plenty to get those wilted and you don’t want to overcook them, or they may get slimy.
Since dry chickpeas have a long cook time, this won’t work for this recipe. If you wish to use dry, cook them separately first and then add them to the soup.
You may refrigerate your leftovers in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 4 days.
You may use the ‘sauté’ function on your Instant Pot, or reheat on stove top in any pot until heated through.
No worries, I’ve got stove top directions for you too. Just check out the recipe card towards the bottom of this post.
- Cut your zucchini and mushroom pieces larger since they cook faster and you don’t want them overly soft. The sweet potato can be a little smaller since it has a longer cook time. This will give you evenly cooked veggies.
- Quick release and remove the lid immediately (when safe to do so) once pressure cooking completes, to prevent the veggies from over cooking.
More Vegan Instant Pot recipes
- Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
- Vegan Pasta e Fagioli
- Mushroom Barley Soup
- Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
- Perfectly Fluffy Coconut Rice
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 large red bell pepper thickly diced
- 3 cups zucchini thickly diced, approx. 2 medium zucchini
- 2.5 cups sweet potato diced, approx. 1 medium potato
- 8 ounce package cremini mushrooms halved, or quartered if very large
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 15 ounce can chickpeas drained & rinsed (approx. 1.5 cups)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce if not avoiding gluten
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional, but recommended
- green onion
- chopped peanuts
- fresh cilantro
- jalapeno slices
- lime wedges
Instant Pot Directions
- Dump all the ingredients into your Instant Pot and close the lid, ensuring the valve is in the sealing position. Set to high pressure for 2 minutes, (it will take about 15-20 minutes to reach pressure) then quick release the steam once the timer is complete.
- Serve garnished with desired toppings.
Stove Top Directions
- Add all the ingredients to a large pot with and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until veggies are fork tender
- Serve garnished with desired toppings.
Very good recipe. I reduced the spices to 1/2 tsp each and added two crushed cloves of garlic and grated a thumb of fresh ginger to give it deeper flavour. I used three heaping tbsp of the peanut butter, (slightly less than the recipe so that the flavours would be a bit more balanced. I used sweet potatoes as suggested, but also some diced carrots at the same time, then diced broccoli stem, then the florets and half a green cabbage I topped it off with 4 dashes of Franks red hot a a small amount of chili flakes. Yum. I highly recommend using fresh garlic and ginger..
Thanks for sharing your process with us Gayla. Glad you enjoyed it.
Could you use PB2 to make it lower in calories? Thank you!!
Sure, I don’t see why not. Enjoy!
This is fantastic! I used dark soy sauce so added some cashew cream (though coconut would work as well, both indulgently of course) and a teaspoon or few of veggie herbs and spices seasoning! I loved it! Thanks for another great recipe 🙂
Thanks so much for the review Jenny. Thrilled you enjoyed. 🙂
Nice flavor. I diced the zucchini and sweet potatoes to small so they are mushy so I will cut them into chunks. I don’t like mushrooms so I just them out.
Will definitely make this again.
Thanks Sheila, so glad you enjoyed!
I absolutely love this soup 🙌🏼 I’ve made it several times already for the family. The hubs and I enjoy it with a bit of hot sauce 🔥🔥
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback Jessica! I’m thrilled you are enjoying this soup so much!