What is Vegan Parmesan Cheese?
Vegan Parmesan is a finely ground seasoning typically containing:
- A type of nut, in this case, raw cashews
- nutritional yeast, to provide “cheesy” flavour
- salt, for, well, saltiness…
- and I like to add a pinch of garlic powder in mine
How to make the BEST vegan Parmesan cheese
It doesn’t get simpler than this! Add all four ingredients into your food processor.
Then process until a fine meal is achieved.
This may take about a minute or so to break down the raw cashews, depending on the strength of your appliance.
Then sprinkle it on EVERYTHING!
There you have it. Perfectly delicious, salty, “cheesy”, slightly garlicky, vegan Parmesan cheese. So simple, there’s just no reason not to try this.
The recipe makes a small portion, about 3/4 cup. If you’re anything like myself and love to cover your pasta or soups in this stuff, feel free to double or triple the recipe.
What to use it on
This vegan substitute for Parmesan cheese can be used on almost anything! I mean it.
Sprinkle it on your POPCORN!
Layer it on your favourite vegan pasta recipes or veggie noodles:
- Vegetable Bolognese Zucchini Noodles
- Vegan Penne Alla Vodka [Healthier Than Grandma’s!]
- Penne Aglio e Olio (Pasta w/ Garlic & Oil)
And lastly, (and one of my favourite options)…grab a spoon!
How long does it keep?
I typically make a triple batch and keep mine refrigerated for up to 4 weeks with no issue.
I’m sure it would last even longer than that, if you manage not to consume it quickly. 😉
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and process until a fine meal is achieved. Serve sprinkled over your favourite dishes.