This healthy alternative to french fries will satisfy your craving in a low calorie and low fat option. Vegan Parmesan carrot fries are crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, with tons of great flavour.
Serve them with your favourite dipping sauce, or enjoy as is. Even if you don’t like carrots, I guarantee you will love these carrot fries. Or you can always give my Sweet Potato Fries a try instead. 😉
How do you make carrot fries?
Firstly, peel and chop your carrots into french fry sticks. I make mine approx 4″ long and 1/2″ thick. It’s really key to get your fries as evenly cut as possible for even cooking.
If you’re short on time, you can skip peeling the fries, but the texture won’t be quite as crispy.
Add your carrot fries to a large mixing bowl, along with all the seasoning and tapioca starch. Mix well, until all your fries are coated.
If you do not have tapioca starch or tapioca flour on hand, and still need to keep this gluten free, you may sub for corn starch with similar results.
Arrange your carrot fries in a single layer with plenty of space between them on a prepared baking tray. Remember, we’re not using oil, so to prevent the fries from sticking to one another, they should not be touching.
Bake for 20 minutes, then flip your fries and sprinkle with the vegan Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven and bake another 10 minutes, or longer for crispier fries.
Are carrot fries healthier than potato fries?
Well, for starters, carrots have a ton of nutrients. They’re rich in beta carotene which your body converts to Vitamin A, a nutrient that promotes good vision and immune function.
If you’re trying to lose weight, they contain about half the calories and carbs when compared to white potatoes. They do have a little more sugar content, however, it is unrefined, natural sugar which I feel is fine in moderation. Of course check with your doctor if you’ve been told to avoid all sugar.
As an added bonus, these carrot fries are prepared without any oil, and they’re baked, and not fried. As a result, there is hardly any fat in here at all. So high in nutrients, low in calories and fat, and big in flavour! A win-win.
What to serve with vegan Parmesan carrot fries?
If you’re having a snacky kind of evening and looking for more appetizers, I highly recommend these Sweet & Spicy Baked Plantain Chips.
For a main course that pairs well with the carrot fries, I’d suggest these incredible Vegan Chicken Burgers or my Chickpea Meatless Meatloaf with Smoked Maple Glaze.
If you’re serving these carrot fries as a side dish for Thanksgiving, I highly suggest checking out this round up of AMAZING Thanksgiving recipes.
Optional Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel and chop your carrots into 4" sticks, approx 1/2" thick for even cooking and add them to a large bowl.
- Add the tapioca starch, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme to the bowl and mix until all the carrots are evenly coated. Then spread the carrots in a single layer on your prepared tray, leaving space in between each one, so that none are overlapping.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the tray from the oven, flip the carrot fries and sprinkle with the vegan Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until desired crisp level is achieved.
- While the carrots are baking, you may prepare your dipping sauce, if using. Combine all three ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Then serve with the fries.