A healthier alternative to french fries that will satisfy your craving at a fraction of the calories and fat! No oil needed for these crispy air fryer carrot fries that are loaded with great flavour.
This recipe was originally published in September 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
When you’re craving fries, but watching your waistline, air frying is a game-changer. You can skip the oil and enjoy a healthy snack or side dish that’s wholesome and flavourful.
Not a big carrot fan? Try these sweet potato fries instead. 😉
Are they healthy?
For starters, carrots have a ton of nutrients. They’re rich in beta carotene which your body converts to Vitamin A, a nutrient that promotes good vision and immune function.
If you’re trying to lose weight, they contain about half the calories, compared to white potatoes. Plus, these air fryer carrot fries are prepared without any oil, making them virtually fat free.
As an added bonus, this tasty snack is naturally vegan and gluten free, making it suitable for most diets.
High in nutrients and flavour, and low in calories and fat! Woohoo!
Ingredients + Substitutions
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Carrots: Of course, you’ll need carrots. Choose carrots that are roughly even in size from top to bottom, if possible. This will make cutting uniform carrot sticks a lot easier.
- Tapioca starch: Also known as tapioca flour. If you don’t have any on hand, you may use corn starch in its place, with similar results.
- Spices: I’m using salt, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme to create (what I feel) is a fantastic seasoning blend. Feel free to adjust to your taste.
- Vegan parmesan: The vegan parm is optional, but highly recommended for its extra layer of flavour.
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Peel and chop your carrots into “fries”. Cut into 4 inch pieces, and then in half or quarters lengthwise.
Cut each carrot fry into sticks that are approx. ¼ inch thick and 4 inches long.
NOTE: Cut your carrot fries as uniform as possible for even cooking.
Add the carrot fries, tapioca starch, and all the spices to a large bowl.
Mix well to thoroughly coat each piece with the seasoning.
Arrange the coated fries in an even layer inside your air frying basket. (It doesn’t need to be a single layer.)
Air fry for 15-20 minutes, mixing once at the halfway point, until desired crispiness is reached.
What mains pair well with carrot fries?
We use a Ninja Foodi 8 quart but any model of fryer, including toaster oven styles will work. (You may also use your oven, see below.)
Since individual models will cook at different temperatures and speeds, check on your carrots often, starting around the 15 minute mark, and continue cooking until desired crispiness level is reached.
Can I make these in the oven?
Arrange the seasoned carrot fries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer. Leave some space in between each one.
Bake for 20 minutes, then flip your fries and sprinkle with the vegan Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven and bake another 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is reached.
It’s unlikely you’ll have leftovers, but if you do, store them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in a sealed container.
They will lose some of their crispiness in the fridge, so these are best enjoyed when freshly made.
- Try your best to cut your carrot fries as uniform as possible for even cooking. Choose carrots that are evenly wide from top to bottom, if possible.
- Cook time will vary according to which method you’re using to cook (oven-baked or air frying), as well as the size of your carrot fries.
More delicious air fried recipes
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Peel and chop your carrots into 4 inch sticks, approx ¼ inch thick for even cooking.
Air Frying Instructions
- Place the carrot fries and all remaining ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix until evenly coated and then arrange them in your basket in an even layer. (They can be overlapping.)
- Air fry at 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) for 15-20 minutes, until desired crispiness is reached, mixing once at the halfway point.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C) and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the tapioca starch, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme to the bowl and mix until all the carrots are evenly coated. Then spread the carrots in a single layer on your prepared tray, leaving space in between each one, so that none are overlapping.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the tray from the oven, flip the carrot fries and sprinkle with the vegan Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is reached.