Crispy on the outside, and fluffy in the middle. These savoury, golden, garlicky air fryer smashed potatoes are a must-try! They’re so delicious and taste just like your favourite garlic bread.
This is the perfect side dish to pair with virtually any meal. You’ll want to eat these right out of the basket! They’re SO SO good.
They may not be the fastest potato to prepare with a 2 step cooking process, but I promise, they are worth it.
Ingredients + Substitutions
All you’ll need is a handful of ingredients for these delicious smashed potatoes.
- Potatoes: I prefer Yukon Gold (or yellow) potatoes for their rich flavour. But if you don’t have any on hand, red potatoes work too.
- Butter: You may choose your favourite cooking oil, margarine or butter. Stick to vegan varities to keep it dairy free. OR, if you’re avoiding fat or oil, you may also use vegetable broth with similar results, to keep these oil free.
- Garlic: I tried these with both fresh garlic and garlic powder, and the flavour of fresh was far superior and highly recommended.
- Seasoning: Keep it simple with salt, pepper and parsley flakes, or add other spices of your choice.
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Place your scrubbed potatoes in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil, cooking until fork tender.
As the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter, if using. Then add the minced garlic and seasoning to the same pot. Mix to combine. (photos 1-2)
Drain your potatoes and transfer them to a cutting board to let cool slightly. (photo 3)
Use a potato masher or large fork to gently smash your potatoes flat. Keep them about half an inch thick, and be careful not to break them. (photo 4)
Now brush the marinade over your potatoes on both sides. (photo 5)
NOTE: Be very careful when flipping the potatoes, to ensure you don’t break them.
Carefully transfer your seasoned and smashed potatoes to the basket of your air fryer and cook until golden and crispy. (photos 6-7)
NOTE: Leave space in between each one for proper airflow, even cooking, and so you don’t need to flip them during cooking.
Go ahead and enjoy straight out of the basket, or transfer to a serving dish or plate, if you can resist. 🙂
I’ve kept these crispy smashed potatoes simple in seasoning, and they’re incredibly delicious as is. But you can change it up each time, if you’d like or serve them with a dip!
- Make it spicy! Add red pepper flakes or minced jalapeno to the marinade.
- Go for kid friendly and serve with ketchup.
- Impress the adults and serve with guacamole.
We use (and LOVE) our Ninja Foodi 8 quart. However, you may use any model of air fryer for these crispy smashed potatoes, including toaster oven styles.
NOTE: Each model varies in cook temperature and speed. Start checking on your smashed potatoes around the 8 minute mark.
Can I make them in an oven?
If you don’t have an air fryer, yes, you may use your oven.
Preheat to 425 degrees F and place your seasoned and smashed potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until desired crispiness is reached.
In the unlikely event that there are leftovers, you may store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
However, these taste best when freshly made, hot and crispy and they will start to lose some of their crispness as they cool.
I don’t recommend freezing.
- Salt your cooking water OR use broth to boil your potatoes for enhanced flavour.
- Use small potatoes for best results. Large potatoes will take longer to cook, they won’t get as crispy, and they’re more difficult to handle once smashed.
- Position your potatoes in the basket with plenty of space in between each one, for proper airflow, and so you don’t need to flip them.
- Let the potatoes cool for a few minutes after boiling to make them easier to handle and smash without breaking them.
More air fried dishes you’ll love
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes approx. 4 small potatoes
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter or margarine sub for cooking oil if preferred OR vegetable broth for oil free
- 3 cloves garlic peeled + minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Scrub your potatoes very well since you'll be eating the skins. Then place them in a pot and fill with water that covers one inch above the potatoes. Add a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cook until a fork pierces the potatoes, but they still remain intact, approx. 18 minutes. Do NOT overcook, or they will break when you smash them.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter (if using) in a small saucepot. Then mix in the minced garlic and seasoning and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a cutting board to let cool for a few minutes, until easy to handle. Use a large fork or potato masher to carefully smash the potatoes until flattened to approx. half an inch thick. (Careful: do not overly smash them, or they may break.)
- Brush both sides of the potato with your seasoned butter mixture and transfer to your basket, leaving plenty of space in between each one. Air fry at 400 degrees F for 8-12 minutes, or until desired crispiness is reached.