Crisp on the outside and soft and tender in the middle. Make this air fryer sweet potato dish in TWO delicious flavours! Whether you like them spicy or sweet, I’ve got you covered. BONUS: It’s naturally vegan and gluten free, low fat and oil free, too. Perfect for all eaters.
Sweet potatoes is something you can find in the supermarket all year long, but they’re especially enjoyable in the fall and colder months.
They make a fantastic side dish for special holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or use them to top to your salads, tacos, or burrito bowls.
They taste similar to roasted, but they’re ready in a fraction fo the time!
Here’s what you’ll need.
- Use orange flesh sweet potatoes as those are sweetest.
- Choose the sweet or spicy version (or make both) but use only the seasoning listed for the version you choose, and not both together.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make them
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Peel and cube your sweet potatoes into half inch cubes or chunks. Place them in a bowl and add the broth and seasoning for the spicy version. Then mix well to evenly coat. (photos 1-2)
Place the potatoes in your fryer basket without overlapping too much and air fry for 18-22 minutes, until potatoes are tender. (photos 3-4)
NOTE: Work in batches, if needed.
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh rosemary (if you’d like) and enjoy.
Place your peeled and cubed sweet potato in a mixing bowl and add the maple syrup, cinnamon and salt (optional). Then mix well to evenly coat. (photos 1-2)
Place your seasoned potatoes in your basket and air fry for 18-22 minutes, mixing every 5 minutes or so. (photos 3-4)
NOTE: If working in batches, the second batch will cook faster. Check often towards the end of cooking.
Not a fan of sweet potatoes? Use cubed butternut squash, white potato or turnup.
For a mild, but savoury version, omit the cayenne pepper from the spicy version.
We use (and LOVE) a Ninja Foodi 8 quart. However, you may use any model of fryer for this sweet potato dish.
Just keep in mind that each model will vary in cook temperature and speed. Be sure to check on your potatoes often, starting around the 15 minute mark.
Can I make them in the oven?
Yes. If you don’t have an air fryer, make these roasted sweet potatoes in your oven.
Use 425 degrees F and place (in a single layer) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then cook for 30-40 minutes, until desired crispiness is reached.
Your air fryer sweet potatoes will taste best when freshly made. However, you may store leftovers in a sealed container in your fridge for 3-4 days.
You may reheat in your fryer, oven, or toaster oven. I do not recommend microwaving.
I don’t suggest freezing this dish, as it will alter the texture.
Work in batches if you have a smaller basket and check on your potatoes often, towards the end of cooking. Do not overcrowd your basket.
Batch size and fryer model will determine cook time. Smaller batches cook fast, AND your second batch will cook faster then the first, so make sure to check on your potatoes during cooking.
More delicious air fried recipes
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled + cubed into half inch cubes (approx. 6 cups cubed)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste (skip if using regular broth)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel and cube your sweet potatoes into half inch cubes. Place them in a medium size bowl. Add all the seasoning for the flavour of choice (spicy OR sweet, not both) on top, and mix well to evenly coat.
- Place the seasoned potato cubes into your fryer basket, in a single layer. (Work in batches, if needed.) Then air fry at 400 degrees F for 18-22 minutes, shaking or mixing every 5 minutes. Cook time will vary according to batch size and fryer model.