Ready for the best air fryer potato wedges? Crispy on the outside, fluffy in the middle, as any good potato should be. Packed with flavour, with very little effort required, and cooks up in just 15 minutes!
Crispy air fryer potato wedges can be yours, and all without any oil, if preferred. How cool is that???
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients. The oil is optional and not necessary for great results, however, it will add a little extra crispiness.
Peel or scrub your potatoes, then cut them in half lengthwise. (photo 1)
Then cut each half into about 3-4 wedges, depending on the size of your potatoes. (photo 2)
Optional but recommended: Place the potato wedges in a bowl and cover with cold water and soak for at least 20 minutes. Then drain and pat them dry. (photos 3-4)
Return the wedges to the mixing bowl (wipe it dry first) and then add all the seasoning and mix to evenly coat. (photos 5-6)
Place the coated potato wedges in your basket in a single layer with a little space in between each one, for maximum crispness. (Work in batches if needed.) Then air fry until golden and crispy, approx. 15 minutes. (photos 7-8)
Transfer your cooked potato wedges to a serving dish and enjoy them plain, dipped in ketchup, spicy mayo, or any of your favourite dipping sauces.
Commonly Asked Questions
Any model works well for making potato wedges. We use and love a Ninja Foodi 8qt, but just be mindful of cook times since temperatures will vary from one model to the next.
We like russet potatoes, but if you don’t have any on hand, Yukon Gold or yellow would also make excellent potato wedges.
Pre soaking the potatoes is really a magical way of reducing the starch in potatoes which prevents them from sticking together and maximizes crispiness.
No problem. Follow the same directions, but bake in your oven at 400 degrees F on a parchment lined tray, for approx. 40-50 minutes. Flip around the halfway point and cook until crispy.
Your air fryer potato wedges taste best when freshly made. However, you may store leftovers in a sealed container in your fridge for up to 3 days and reheat in your toaster oven or fryer.
Are they crispy without oil?
Happy to report. YES! Check out this comparison photo below.
My test batches without oil came out surprisingly crispy on the outside, and a little puffier on the inside. The oil version, as expected is a little crispier overall.
Both versions were delicious! So if you want to save yourself some extra fat and calories, skip the oil. 🙂
What other flavour combos work well?
I’ve kept these wedges quite simple, but feel free to jazz up the spice blend with any of the following.
- ½ teaspoon parsley and ¼ teaspoon each of dill, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
Jerk Seasoning Blend
- ½ teaspoon onion powder and ¼ teaspoon each of thyme, allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and garlic powder.
- ¼ teaspoon each of salt, oregano, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
Chili Seasoning Blend
- ½ teaspoon chili powder and ¼ teaspoon each of cumin, garlic powder, paprika (or smoked paprika), onion powder, salt and black pepper.
Although optional, I recommend to soak the uncooked potato wedges for maximum crispiness. You especially don’t want to skip this step if you’re choosing to omit the oil.
Change up the flavouring each time with one of my spice blends listed above.
More delicious air fried recipes
- Air Fried Zucchini w/ Lemon
- Air Fried Broccoli
- Healthy Air Fried Eggplant
- Healthy Air Fried Mushrooms
- Air Fried Carrots [Two Ways!]
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 pound russet potatoes approx. 2 large
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil optional
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Peel or scrub your potatoes clean, then cut them into wedges. (See above for process shots, if needed.)
- Place the cut potato wedges in a bowl and cover with cold water for at least 20 minutes. Then drain and pat dry using a clean dish towel. Wipe the bowl dry, and place the wedges back inside.
- Add the oil (if using) and all the seasoning and mix to evenly coat. Then transfer the seasoned potato wedges to the basket of your fryer in a single layer, leaving a little room in between. (Work in batches, if needed.)
- Air fry at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, mixing once at the halfway point. Serve with ketchup, spicy mayo or any of your favourite dips.