Creamy, dreamy brown rice risotto with mixed vegetables and brown basmati rice is nutritious and super simple to make. Just toss it all in your Instant Pot, set it and forget it for any easy weeknight meal win!
Being Italian, let’s just say that I LOVE risotto. I grew up eating mushroom risotto for several special occasions, including Easter, Christmas and birthdays. We traditionally made risotto the long and slow way. That’d be in a deep skillet, adding the broth roughly ½ cup at a time until absorbed, and repeating until the arborio rice was tender and creamy.
This brown rice risotto recipe is a little different in terms of technique and nutrition, but I promise is JUST as delicious.
Using a pressure cooker, in this case, my Instant Pot, makes risotto making a breeze. There is no sautéing required here at all. Just dump everything into the pot, set it and walk away.
What makes this vegan risotto healthy?
I’m using brown basmati rice in place of arborio rice. Brown rice is a whole grain, and far more nutritious than white rice, since it has not been refined. White rice has the germ and bran removed, making it a less nutritious option.
Tons of mixed vegetables add even more nutrients to my Instant Pot risotto, for a colourful, beautiful, and healthy meal.
How to make brown rice risotto in the Instant Pot
Start by gathering your ingredients:
- 1.5 cup brown basmati rice
- 4 cups of mixed frozen vegetables of your choice
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Garlic powder, onion powder, oregano
Rinse your rice in a strainer and then place it inside your Instant Pot, along with your frozen vegetables of choice.
Add the broth and all the seasoning and give everything a stir. Then close the lid, seal the valve and set to high pressure for 22 minutes. The pot will take about 15-20 minutes to reach pressure, before it begins to count down.
Once the timer is complete, let your Instant Pot naturally release for 10 minutes, before releasing the steam valve.
Open the lid when safe to do so (when the pin drops, and all pressure has been released). Then stir in the butter or margarine, if using. Taste and add some salt and pepper if desired.
Serve your vegetable risotto with a sprinkle of fresh parsley, or some vegan parmesan cheese, if desired.
You’re going to absolutely LOVE this vegan brown rice risotto. It’s:
- Kid and picky eater friendly (and both my preschooler and toddler approved)
- WFPB (whole food plant based)
More Instant Pot recipes you’ll love:
- Thai Peanut Chickpea Soup
- Unstuffed Peppers
- Vegan Pumpkin Risotto
- Vegan Pasta e Fagioli
- Instant Pot Vegan Chili
- Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1.5 cups brown basmati rice rinsed
- 4 cups mixed frozen veggies I use corn/peas/carrot/green bean mixture
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or margarine optional
- salt + pepper to taste
- Add everything except the butter into your pressure cooker and give it a stir. Close the lid and make sure your valve is in the sealing position. Then set to high pressure for 22 minutes. It will take about 15-20 minutes for the pot to reach pressure.
- When the timer is complete, allow your pressure cooker to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then release the remaining pressure and open the lid once safe to do so.
- Stir in the butter or margarine, if using and add some salt and pepper, to taste. Serve garnished with fresh parsley or Parmesan cheese, if desired.