It’s tangy, it’s flavourful and it’s actually SPICY! This vegan Buffalo sauce is made using only 6 ingredients and ready in 5 minutes! Perfect for dunking and spreading on all the things!
If you’ve been searching for a vegan Buffalo sauce without success, your search definitely ends here! This sauce is incredibly flavourful, and YES it’s ACTUALLY spicy!
If you want a mild spice level, feel free to adjust to your tastes, or try my sriracha mayo instead.
But if a spicy Buffalo sauce is what you’re looking for, you’ve found it!
Wondering what you’ll use it for?
This incredible sauce goes far beyond just Buffalo “wings”.
Think drizzled on pizza, or used to dip the crusts. Try some on your next falafel wrap to spice things up, dunk raw veggies, spread it into sandwiches or wraps, pour some into your mac and cheese or drizzle it on your grilled veggies or even your popcorn!
What’s makes this version better?
This vegan Buffalo sauce is not like other versions out there.
As I said, it’s actually spicy, incredibly tangy, and in my humble opinion, the BEST Buffalo sauce I’ve EVER tried.
Some added bonuses?
It’s definitely healthier than any store bought sauces, as often the case with homemade. But it’s also healthier than many homemade versions too!
It’s oil free and butter free, keeping the fat content low. (You can make it even lower by subbing the cashews for sunflower seeds or pepitas if desired.) But I’d argue there’s a good amount of fat in here with only one third of a cup of raw cashews in the entire two cups worth of Buffalo sauce.
Another added bonus: it just happens to be soy free and gluten free, making it suitable for anyone with a soy or gluten intolerance.
Need it nut free? Just sub the cashews for sunflower seeds or pepitas.
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
It’s really simple to make your own vegan Buffalo sauce. Just gather your ingredients. (Only 6 required!)
Then add everything to a high speed blender and process until smooth. (photos 1-2)
Then transfer to a CLEAN and DRY glass jar or glass container with lid and keep refrigerated until use.
How long does it keep?
You may keep your homemade Buffalo sauce refrigerated in a jar or sealed container for up to 10 days.
Alternatively, if you don’t think you’ll consume it on time, store some in the freezer for up to 6 months.
You may store in smaller containers for easy, individual portions if you wish. Or freeze in an ice cube tray and then transfer the cubes to a sealed zip top bag so you always have some on hand.
Substitutions & Variations
- Make it nut free by subbing the cashews with shelled raw pepitas or sunflower seeds. Make sure they do not have added salt.
- For less sodium, use water instead of vegetable broth.
- Make it less spicy by replacing ¼ to ½ of the called for hot sauce with broth or water.
- For less tang, use only 2 tablespoons of the vinegar or sub for apple cider vinegar instead.
- For a creamier/thicker sauce, use up to ⅔ cup of cashews or seeds.
- Make it a smoky hot sauce and add 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- If you don’t have a high speed blender, soak your cashews in cool water overnight, or in boiling hot water for 30 minutes, then drain and use as directed. Soaking the cashews will soften them, making them easier to blend.
- If you’re still having trouble getting your sauce smooth, you may strain any loose cashew bits using a fine mesh strainer or nut milk bag.
More awesome spicy sauces and dips
- Healthy Jalapeno Popper Dip – This spicy goodness uses a cauliflower base for an incredibly healthy, but delicious dip.
- Vegan Sriracha Mayo – A creamy, luscious spread that is mildly spicy, and incredibly flavourful.
- Peanut Butter Hummus – This mildy spicy hummus features peanut butter over tahini, and is spiced like your favourite Thai peanut sauce!
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Gather all your ingredients and add to a high speed blender. Process on high until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a clean glass jar or lidded container and store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.