If you’re more of a wrap person than a sandwich, check out my Smashed Chickpea Salad Wrap instead. So many great flavours in there.
How to make this chickpea salad sandwich
Simple! Open a can of chickpeas and drain them, but reserve its liquid, otherwise known as aquafaba.
Aquafaba is a magical ingredient, really, especially for vegans. It has so many practical functions. It works well as an egg substitute for baked goods, or it can be used to make vegan mayonnaise.
I’m using it here to make creamy chickpea salad that somewhat resembles egg salad. For all of you with egg allergies or who simply choose not to eat eggs, this recipe is for you!
Next, you will add all your ingredients (except the bread) to a food processor and pulse several times. If you don’t have black salt, you may use whatever salt you typically use. However, I do highly recommend the black salt for this recipe, as it tends to give the chickpea salad sandwich a more “egg salad” sandwich flavour.
You want the mixture well combined, but still containing some chunks and texture. So make sure not to over process.
When you’ve reached your desired consistency, grab your sliced bread and make a sandwich with any of your favourite sandwich toppings.
I like tomato slices, baby spinach and sliced pickles. The pickles combined with the dill flavour in the salad itself is just YUM!
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also love these!
- Vegan Sloppy Joes (Soup or Sandwich!)
- Vegan Chicken Burgers – Gluten Free
- Asian Slaw Vegan Wraps with Cauliflower Rice
- Allergen Friendly Eggless Frittata Muffins
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 19 oz can chickpeas drained & liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup aquafaba liquid from chickpea can
- 2 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch sea salt
- 6 slices whole grain sliced bread gluten free if preferred
- Add all your ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined, but still chunky. Don't over process, leave a little texture.
- Serve on your favourite bread with tomato slices, pickles, and baby spinach if desired.