I’ve had a few requests for a chickpea version after publishing my Baked Lentil Veggie Nuggets. (Which if you haven’t tried those yet, you totally must!) Just like my lentil version, these nuggets are perfectly dippable, and kids and adults alike will love them!
Chickpeas are definitely one of my favourite versatile ingredients. You can turn chickpeas into almost anything. From meatloaf, to frittata, and even cookies! So now it’s time for some kid approved, delicious, dunkable, chickpea nuggets!
How do you make chickpea nuggets?
To prepare these nuggets, just add all the ingredients, except the oats to your food processor. Process until finely chopped and combined, but not puréed. I like to keep them with a little bit of chunky texture. Then add the oats and pulse once or twice to combine.
Once the batter is ready, form golf size balls using your hands, then slightly flatten into a nugget shape. Place your nuggets on a prepared baking tray, and repeat with remaining batter. You should get roughly 20 nuggets, depending on how small or large you make them.
Next, you will bake your chickpea nuggets until perfectly golden, approx 35 minutes, flipping around the 20 minute mark.
Now, pay close attention. Do not force flip your nuggets if they don’t lift easily from the parchment paper or you may break them. If your nuggets are not lifting easily, return the tray to the oven for a few more minutes and try again.
When the nuggets lift without sticking to the paper, they are ready for flipping. This will vary slightly according to the size of nuggets you form. However, it will be roughly around the 20 minute mark of baking.
Once baked, serve your chickpea nuggets with any of your favourite dipping sauces.
Be prepared for these to disappear quickly. My 18 month old devoured five of them in only a few minutes flat! If you’re looking to feed any picky toddlers or children (or even adults), I highly recommend trying this one. Dipping makes everything better, right? Even adults love to dip! So you can sneak some plant based protein into your pickiest of eaters with these delicious chickpea nuggets.
Hope you enjoy these delicious chickpea nuggets. They are:
- crispy on the outside
- soft and fluffy in the middle
- great source of protein and iron
- perfectly dunkable
- oil free
- allergen free
- and delicious!
If you try these, I’d love your feedback, so drop me a comment below! Don’t forget to snap a picture and share it with me on Facebook or Instagram. I always love seeing what my readers come up with. 🙂
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (approx 10 tomatoes)
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp rolled oats, gluten free if preferred
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients, except the oats, to your food processor and process until finely chopped and combined, but not pureed. (You want a little bit of chunk.) Then add the oats and pulse once or twice to combine.
- Form the batter into golf sized balls using your hands, and flatten into a nugget shape. Place on your baking tray and repeat with remaining batter. You should make about 20 nuggets in total.
- Bake for 35 minutes in total, flipping at the 20 minute mark. The nuggets are ready to flip when you are able to do easily, without them getting stuck to the parchment paper. If they're sticking to the paper, bake a few minutes longer before trying to flip them again.
- Enjoy with your favourite dipping sauces.