Crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy in the middle, these incredibly flavourful coconut waffles are just what your breakfast is missing. Top them with a nutritious topping like this Blueberry Chia Jam and you’ve got a winning combination!
Waffles are not necessarily a health food, I know. But this delicious waffle recipe is made lighter and healthier than your traditional waffle. No butter or oil, no dairy, and very little sugar. In fact, only two tablespoons of unrefined coconut sugar in the entire batch of 8 waffles.
What goes into a healthier waffle recipe?
These coconut waffles use only 8 ingredients.
- a flax egg
- whole wheat flour
- baking powder
- unrefined coconut sugar (and very little of it)
- lite coconut milk (as opposed to full fat)
- applesauce (instead of oil)
- unsweetened shredded coconut
How do you make coconut waffles?
To make your waffles, begin by preparing your flax egg and set aside.
Then combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Then, to the same bowl, add your wet ingredients and mix until combined, without over mixing. A few lumps is perfectly fine. Do not over mix, as this can alter the texture of your waffles.
Cook your waffles according to the instructions set out by the manufacturer of your waffle iron. Generally speaking, these waffles will take about 5-7 minutes per batch.
Make sure you’re using the canned kind of coconut milk and do not sub for another plant milk or the results will not be the same. The fat content is needed for a crispier waffle, so again, do not sub for another plant based milk. After all, nobody likes a soggy waffle. 😉
What toppings go well with coconut waffles?
The sky is the limit here, but for some healthier options, I highly recommend my Blueberry Chia Jam, unsweetened shredded coconut, fresh fruit or chopped nuts.
If you’re feeling a little more indulgent, top with some chocolate chips, maple syrup, or powdered sugar.
More vegan breakfast recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes – Vegan & GF
- Vegan Oatmeal Pumpkin Cookies [GF+Oil Free]
- Simple Green Smoothie Recipe (that doesn’t taste green!)
- Lentil Banana Protein Pancakes
- Easy Overnight Chia Pudding
- Chickpea Asparagus Frittata [Vegan+GF+Oil Free]
- Healthy Banana Nut Smoothie
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Waffle Iron
- Prepare your flax egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and mix well. Then add the coconut milk, applesauce and shredded coconut and mix until just combined. Do not over mix, a few lumps is perfectly fine.
- Heat your nonstick waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's directions, approx 5-7 minutes for each batch. Cook longer for crispier waffles, and less for softer waffles.
- Serve with more coconut, blueberry chia jam, maple syrup, or fresh fruit.