These delicious and healthy sweet potato cookies are perfect for breakfast or dessert! The best part? There’s NO added sugar! These delicious cookies are naturally sweetened with sweet potato and banana. They are soft and chewy, and absolutely incredible.
Sweet potato cookies, really? Yup, you bet! Sweet potatoes are so versatile and can be used in breakfast recipes, lunch, dinner, and even desserts. In fact, you should probably check out this awesome collection of healthy sweet potato recipes before you go.
But in the meantime, let’s get back to these delicious cookies.
Why the combo of flours?
To keep these cookies gluten free, I use a combination of brown rice flour and oat flour. Both of which I typically have in my pantry and make using my Vitamix. If you don’t have both available, or the time to make both, you may use one or the other.
I’ve tried all different combinations for these cookies, and I do prefer the recipe as listed below with both flours.
That being said, they also work with all rice flour, although slightly denser results, or all oat flour.
How do you make sweet potato cookies?
To prepare these easy to make cookies, you’ll need to precook your sweet potato.
The quickest way I find to do this is to chop your potato and boil it until fork tender.
Then using a potato masher, mash the potato and the banana and combine with all the remaining ingredients. Then form your cookies on a baking sheet and bake to golden perfection.
I just love how the oats shine through these beautiful golden cookies. The texture is just perfect. Soft and chewy, but also firm enough to hold their shape.
These sweet potato cookies are not only healthy and delicious! But they are allergen friendly and nut free, making it a perfectly safe school snack.
So feel free to pack some in your kiddos lunchboxes for a pick me up during their busy school day. Or go ahead and make a huge batch of them so they can eat cookies for breakfast that you won’t feel guilty about!
These perfectly wholesome cookies are a great breakfast, dessert or mid day snack.
If you want to add even more flavour, toss some shredded coconut to your mixture, or even chocolate chips.
More delicious cookie recipes!
- Vegan Oatmeal Pumpkin Cookies [GF+Oil Free]
- Healthy Peanut Butter Chickpea Cookies
- Almond Butter Cookies [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies [GF+Nut Free+Oil Free]
- Oatmeal Zucchini Cookies [V+GF]
- Pecan Butter Cookies [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Add the sweet potatoes to a small pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Cook until fork tender, approx. 8 minutes. Drain and return to the pot, then mash them with a potato masher.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Now add all the remaining ingredients to the pot with your mashed potato and mix well.
- Using a metal tablespoon, scoop your cookie batter onto your prepared baking sheet, and gently press down each one with the bottom of the spoon or fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature. The cookies will firm up as they cool. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.