This twist on elote (Mexican street corn) is a little sweet and a little tangy with subtle hints of spice throughout. I’m turning the classic elote dish into a Mexican corn salad that’s rich and flavourful, and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Instead of mayonnaise or heavy sour cream typically used here, I’m using cashew cream for a dairy, egg, and oil free dressing. Don’t worry, it’s still got ALL of the delicious and creaminess!
What is Elote? (Mexican street corn)
Elote is often referred to as Mexican street corn because it’s a popular snack you can find on the streets of Mexico, sold by food vendors. Mexican street corn is cooked sweet corn that is covered in ‘crema fresca’ and sprinkled with cotija cheese. So a Mexican corn salad typically takes all these ingredients, adds them to a bowl and often adds a little heat to the mix.
My take on Mexican corn salad is a little different from the classic version, okay maybe a lot different. But it got two thumbs up from hubby, and it’s made using healthier ingredients, so that’s something we can all get on board with, right? To replicate the crema fresca, I use cashews, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to give it the right amount of tangyness.
As for the salad itself, I’m using:
- corn (duh)
- cucumber to add crunch
- avocado to add richness
- red onion & cilantro for flavour and freshness
- chili flakes for a little heat (adjust to your taste)
This dish is not only full of delicious flavour, but it’s super simple to make and requires no cooking. Perfect for a hot day when you don’t want to turn on the stove, or just any day when you want a fresh tasting dish requiring 10 minutes of your efforts. 🙂
For more Mexican inspired dishes made healthier, you’ll definitely want to check out these!
- Mexican Salad with 3 Minute Guacamole
- Oil Free Mexican Inspired Taco Buddha Bowl
- Low Calorie Mexican Zucchini Boats
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Easy Vegan Cauliflower Tacos [GF+Oil Free]
- Loaded Sweet Potatoes with Baked Beans
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes or more
- Combine all your salad ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Drain your cashews and add them, along with all remaining dressing ingredients into your blender and process on high speed until smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Chill for 1 hour or serve immediately.