This twist on elote (Mexican street corn) is a little sweet and a little tangy with subtle hints of spice throughout. Transforming a Mexican classic into a vegan elote salad that’s rich, flavourful, creamy and incredibly delicious. Sure to please a crowd.
This recipe was originally published in August 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
This dish is not only packed with deliciousness, but it’s super simple to whip up with no cooking required.
Something we can all get on board with. 😉
And just like my homemade creamed corn, this vegan elote salad takes corn to an entirely new level!
What is Elote?
Elote is often referred to as Mexican street corn because it’s a popular snack you can find on the streets of Mexico, sold by food vendors.
So a Mexican corn salad typically takes all these ingredients, adds them to a bowl and usually adds a little heat to the mix.
My twist on this dish features a dairy free alternative, using healthier ingredients, without sacrificing on flavour.
Instead of mayonnaise or heavy sour cream, I’m using an oil free cashew cream for the base of my dressing.
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients.
NOTE: If you belong to the “cilantro tastes like soap” club, feel free to sub with fresh parsley or dill.
Add the cashews, and all remaining dressing ingredients to your blender and process until smooth and creamy. (photos 1-2)
Then, add all the salad ingredients to a mixing bowl, pour the dressing on top and mix to evenly coat. (photos 3-4)
Chill your vegan elote salad in the refrigerator for one hour, if time allows.
Then serve garnished with extra cilantro and chili flakes if you’d like. Or take it to the next level and sprinkle some vegan Parmesan cheese.
Vegan Elote FAQ
If you’re following a strict low fat diet, you may sub the cashews for pepitas or raw sunflower seeds to decrease the fat. Or you may use soft tofu, but make sure to omit the water.
This is a mess free way to enjoy Mexican street corn. It’s essentially the same ingredients, with the corn removed from the cob and mixed into a cup.
The cilantro is a staple ingredient here, but if you’re a member of the “I hate cilantro” club, you may omit, or sub for another fresh herb like parsley or dill.
Your vegan elote will keep refrigerated for 3-4 days in a sealed container, or in a bowl, tightly wrapped with plastic wrap.
I don’t recommend freezing, as it will significantly alter the flavour and texture.
- If you don’t have a powerful blender, presoak your cashews. You may soak overnight in cool water, or soak in boiling hot water for 30 minutes. The soak time will expand and soften the cashews, making them easier to blend.
- Although you may enjoy straight away, this vegan elote tastes best when chilled for 1 hour, so plan ahead if possible.
- For less spice, halve the chili flakes, or sub for chili powder instead.
- If you don’t have lemon, you may sub with lime juice or use more vinegar.
More vegan Mexican favourites!
- Oil Free Mexican Buddha Bowl
- Mexican Zucchini Boats
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole
- Veggie Ground Taco Meat
- Loaded Sweet Potatoes with Baked Beans
- Or check out these 38 stunning vegan Mexican recipes!
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 medium avocado diced
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ⅓ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes or more
For the Dressing
- more cilantro
- vegan Parmesan cheese
- extra chili flakes
- Add all the dressing ingredients to your blender and process until smooth and creamy. Start on low speed and then increase slowly to prevent cashew bits from splashing around. Scrape down the sides, as needed. Set aside.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a mixing bowl and pour the dressing on top and mix well.
- Chill for 1 hour or serve immediately.