Instead of mayonnaise or heavy sour cream typically used here, I’m using cashew cream for a dairy, egg, and oil free dressing.
Don’t worry, it’s still got ALL of the delicious and creaminess!
What is Elote? (Mexican street corn)
Elote is often referred to as Mexican street corn because it’s a popular snack you can find on the streets of Mexico, sold by food vendors.
Mexican street corn is cooked sweet corn that is covered in ‘crema fresca’ and sprinkled with cotija cheese.
So a Mexican corn salad typically takes all these ingredients, adds them to a bowl and often adds a little heat to the mix.
My take on Mexican corn salad is a little different from the classic version. But it got two thumbs up from hubby, and it’s made using healthier ingredients, so that’s something we can all get on board with, right?
To replicate the crema fresca, I use cashews, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to give it the right amount of tangy-ness.
For the salad itself, I’m using corn, cucumber, avocado, red onion and cilantro. Plus a bit of chili flakes to add a touch of heat. Adjust to your taste, of course.
This dish is not only full of delicious flavour, but it’s super simple to make and requires no cooking.
Perfect for a hot day when you don’t want to turn on the stove, or just any day when you want a fresh tasting dish requiring 10 minutes of your efforts. 🙂
For more Mexican inspired dishes made healthier, you’ll definitely want to check out these 38 stunning vegan Mexican recipes!
These are some of my favourites!
- Oil Free Mexican Inspired Taco Buddha Bowl
- Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole
- Veggie Ground Taco Meat
- Loaded Sweet Potatoes with Baked Beans
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes or more
- Combine all your salad ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Drain your cashews and add them, along with all remaining dressing ingredients into your blender and process on high speed until smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Chill for 1 hour or serve immediately.