The guac is optional, but highly recommended. If you’re not a guacamole or avocado fan, try it topped with some cashew cream instead. This dish screams comfort food, yet it’s made using healthy and wholesome ingredients.
A delicious, hearty, comforting meal that you won’t feel guilty about eating is the perfect kind of dinner. Plus, it’s vegan, oil free, gluten free and virtually fat free, with the added bonus of being high in protein and iron. There’s really no reason not to try this! 🙂
How do you make loaded sweet potatoes?
Start with the beans and dump all the ingredients into your Instant Pot, give it a stir and get those cooking.
While the beans are cooking, preheat your oven and scrub the potatoes.
Pierce the potatoes all around with a fork or knife to prevent them from exploding in the oven. Bake until fork tender, about 45 minutes.
Once you have both the beans and the potatoes cooking, you may prepare any additional toppings you’d like. My favourite way to top these is with my 3 Minute Easy Guacamole but you can also go for some Dairy Free Sour Cream (Cashew Cream) or salsa.
When the timer completes on your beans, quick release the steam valve and open the lid when safe to do so.
If your beans are not as thick as you’d like, just let them sit in the liquid for a few extra minutes and give them a stir. They will quickly absorb any excess sauce and all the delicious flavour that comes along with it.
Once the potatoes and beans are ready, slice the potatoes lengthwise without cutting all the way through. Stuff them with as many of the delicious baked beans as possible!! Then top them as desired. Now DIG RIGHT IN! So So GOOD!
Can I make baked beans without an Instant Pot?
YES! I have a slow cooker baked beans recipe, if you have the time to start them earlier. Or you may use a stove top method as well.
To make the baked beans on stove top, just add your soaked (and drained) beans plus all remaining ingredients with an extra cup of broth to a sauce pot.
Close the lid and simmer until the beans are soft and tender. This will take approx 2-3 hours, depending on how long you pre-soaked your beans, and how long your beans have been sitting in your pantry. Add more water or broth as needed to prevent sticking as the beans are cooking.
If you enjoy this recipe, you may also like:
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans (You won’t miss the meat!)
- Sweet Potato Noodles w/ Vegan Alfredo Sauce [GF+Oil Free]
- Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Mexican Salad with 3 Minute Guacamole
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Sweet Potato Bean Burger (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Sweet Potato Fries – Baked not Fried!
- 4 sweet potatoes scrubbed
For the Baked Beans
3 Minute Easy Guacamole (Optional Garnish)
- Dump all your baked bean ingredients into your Instant Pot, give it a stir and close the lid. Make sure the valve is in the sealing position and set to high pressure for 40 minutes. (It wll take about 10 minutes to build pressure before counting down.) Once the timer is complete, you may quick release the steam valve.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Pierce your sweet potatoes using a fork or knife 5-6 times around the potato. (This will prevent them from exploding in the oven.) Then bake for 45 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.
- While both the beans and potatoes are cooking, prepare your guacamole if using.