Air fryer bananas are a quick and easy healthy snack you can whip up in no time with just a few ingredients that you likely already have on hand! Great as a snack, side dish, or make it a dessert.
These DIY air fryer banana chips are savoury, caramelized, and super flavourful.
Why you’ll love these
- Air fryer bananas are a healthy, easy snack that you can whip up in no time!
- These caramelized bananas are sweet and tasty, with NO added sugar.
- Healthy! Again, no added sugar, and only a smidge of oil for greasing your basket. Far more wholesome compared to deep fried bananas.
- Budget friendly. Bananas are inexpensive, even if you’re using organic.
- Allergen friendly + kid approved! Not only is this tasty snack naturally vegan, but it’s also gluten free, nut free, soy free and kids will LOVE this sweet treat.
- And of course, they’re SO delicious! Sweet, savoury, yummy!
Ingredients + Substitutions
All you need is 4 ingredients!
- Bananas: Make sure to use slightly green bananas that are firm without brown spots. (Save your brown bananas for banana bread.) Firm bananas are easier to slice in uniform sizes and have less sugar, so less likely to stick to your fryer basket.
- Lemon: Use freshly squeezed or bottled for this one, either is fine.
- Salt + Pepper: I particularly love the savoury flavour and hint of spice here. But if you prefer, skip the pepper and reduce the salt in half and add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon for a sweeter variety.
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Combine the lemon juice and seasoning in a small bowl and set aside. (photo 1)
Slice your bananas into approx. ⅛ inch thick pieces. Do your best to slice them evenly and add them to the mixture bowl. Gently mix to evenly coat them. (photo 2)
Place the banana slices in a single layer in your fryer basket that has been gently brushed with oil (to prevent sticking). Work in batches, if needed. Air fry until golden. (photo 3)
Your air fryer bananas are ready when golden and caramelized on the outside. Use a silicone spatula to gently scrape them from the basket if they’re a little stuck. Then transfer to a dish and enjoy!
What to serve them with
- Layered over peanut butter toast. Or try almond, pecan or cashew butter, too.
- With cereal, granola, yogurt, chia pudding or overnight oats and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Use them to top your favourite fluffy pancakes or waffles.
- Serve with nice cream for all the flavours of a banana foster (but healthier).
We use (and LOVE) a Ninja Foodi 8 quart. However, you may use any model for this banana dessert.
Just note that different models will have varying cook times. So make sure to check on your bananas often, towards the end of cooking.
Can I make these in the oven?
Yes! Place the coated bananas in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, until the bananas are caramelized.
You may store leftovers (if there are any) in a sealed container in your fridge for 2-3 days. However, these taste best when warm and freshly made.
I do not recommend freezing.
- Slice your bananas as uniform as you can for even cooking.
- If some slices are too thin, they may burn, so watch carefully toward the end of cooking.
More air fried recipes you’ll love
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 2 small green bananas (or 1 large) they should be firm
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice approx. half a small lemon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Peel and slice your bananas into approx. ⅛ inch thick slices. A little thicker is fine, but try your best to keep the slices consistent for even cooking. Then place them in the bowl with the marinade and gently mix to evenly coat the slices.
- Brush your air frying basket with a little oil and place the coated bananas in a single layer. Then air fry at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes until golden and caramelized. Watch carefully towards the end of cooking to prevent burning.