It’s a special day friends! It’s my blogaversary!! I’m wishing a happy 1st birthday to my blog today, and I’m celebrating with BANANA BREAD!
No, this isn’t a brand new recipe, but it is my very first and oldest recipe from my blog. So I decided to update this post with some new photos! Plus any excuse to make and eat more banana bread is fine by me.
Is it just me or do you also buy tons of bananas knowing you probably wont eat them all before they absolutely need to be used?? I think I do it “accidentally” on purpose! 🙂 I’m always dreaming of delicious, chocolate chip banana bread in the back of my mind. I mean, who doesn’t love banana bread.
Now this next statement is quite bold, but I truly mean it with all of my heart. This vegan banana bread tastes better than the “real thing”!!
I grew up with banana bread in the house quiet often. Such a staple recipe that my mom often made for us. I decided to veganize her recipe and this banana bread is a HUGE hit with my family! I am asked to make it again and again and again. My nieces and nephews literally devour an entire loaf in only a few minutes. Which has led me to double up this recipe more often than not!
Not much of a baker? Don’t worry!
This vegan banana bread recipe is seriously fool proof.
It is so easy to make, requiring simple ingredients, and just one bowl! There’s no messing this one up. You definitely won’t be disappointed. Well, you might be, when you’ve devoured it in minutes! (Hence why I often double this recipe and make TWO!)
This vegan banana bread is moist and fluffy, providing the perfect balance of texture and scrumptious flavour.
How do you make vegan banana bread?
So glad you asked! First, combine all your wet ingredients in a large bowl, and mix well. Then add all your dry ingredients, starting with the flour, oats and salt, and mix. Save the baking powder and baking soda for last and mix until just combined. You’ll have a pretty thick, but still pour-able batter.
Once you’ve prepared your batter, pour the mixture into your loaf pan. I line my loaf pan with parchment paper, rather than grease it. This makes it a LOT easier to remove from the pan once baked. Gently press the batter down with a silicone spatula to ensure there are no gaps. Or gently tap the loaf pan on your counter. Then sprinkle the loaf with chocolate chips and press them down gently into the batter and bake!
Once baked, the hard part begins. The waiting! But please, please wait before slicing. Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes or so before removing it from the pan. Then transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling for at least 30 minutes. This painful half hour will allow the bread to properly set, making slicing a whole lot easier! Serve this tasty treat for breakfast, snack, or dessert!
For more healthy-ish dessert recipes, check out these!
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread [Vegan+GF+Oil Free]
- Easy Healthy Chickpea Cookies
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Sweet Hummus Fruit Dip [V+GF]
- Easy Coconut Peach Popsicles
- Allergen Friendly Sweet Potato Cookies [V+GF & Nut Free!]
- Strawberry Banana Bread [V+GF]
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Oatmeal Zucchini Cookies [V+GF]
- Very Berry Sugar Free Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup quick cooking steel cut oats or rolled oats
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour or oat flour for gluten free, both ways are great!
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, dairy free or more!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 5"x9" loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and mix well.
- To the same bowl, add the dry ingredients saving the baking powder and soda for last and mix until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into your loaf pan and spread with a silicone spatula. Then sprinkle the chocolate chips overtop and gently press them down.
- Bake for 45 minutes until lightly golden. Then remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan, using the parchment paper to help lift it out. Then continue to cool on cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing.