This is the absolute BEST cranberry orange bread ever. It’s perfectly moist, naturally sweetened with pops of tart, and made using wholesome ingredients.
This cranberry orange loaf is just perfect for the holidays, gatherings, and any event. It’s the right amount of sweet and tart, all without any added sugar.
Naturally sweetened using dates (just like my vegan lemon loaf) and freshly squeezed orange juice, this cranberry orange bread is healthy enough to serve for breakfast. But incredible enough to serve for dessert!
What makes this cranberry orange bread the best?
I know, it’s pretty bold to call something “the best” when there are a ton of recipes out there.
But how can you beat a delicious bread (seriously, let’s call this cake) that is made using healthy ingredients? There’s no refined sugar or refined flour, no oil and no butter!
As an added bonus, this incredible dessert is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and soy free, which are among some of the top allergens. Perfect for all eaters and suitable for vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores, alike.
What is in this cranberry orange bread?
Okay, we’ve talked about what’s not in this bread. So what IS in it?
- Oat flour: Make sure to get certified gluten free oat flour if needed. I buy my oats whole and grind them myself in my Vitamix.
- Baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. Did you know that adding a little salt to desserts actually helps bring out the sweetness?
- Freshly squeezed orange juice, and some orange zest.
- Fresh cranberries for pops of tart.
- Pitted dates, or you can remove the pit yourself if you can’t find pitted ones.
- Unsweetened applesauce
How to make vegan cranberry orange bread
Start by gathering all your dry ingredients and adding them to a large mixing bowl.
Then add the dates and water to your blender and process until smooth to make date syrup.
You will end up with about 2 cups of date syrup, add 1.5 cups to the batter, and reserve the remaining half cup for glazing later.
Add all the remaining wet ingredients, except the cranberries to your bowl. Mix until incorporated, then fold in the cranberries.
Pour your batter into a loaf pan, lined with parchment paper. Tap the pan 2-3 times gently on a hard surface to ensure there are no gaps in the bread.
Then bake in your preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the loaf rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan to continue cooling.
Once completely cooled, you may glaze your orange cranberry bread. Add a tablespoon of freshly squeezed orange juice to your remaining half cup of date syrup and mix well.
Then pour your glaze in a side to side pattern over top your cooled loaf, as shown below.
Now slice and enjoy!
How long does it keep?
You may keep this bread at room temperature, covered in plastic wrap, or in a reusable container for 2-3 days.
Or freeze in an air tight container for 3-4 weeks.
More delicious bread recipes
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Easy Vegan Cornbread
- Vegan Apple Bread
- Chocolate Chip Vegan Banana Bread
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 2 cups oat flour gluten free if preferred
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9" x 5" (or similar) loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all your dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Add the pitted dates and water to a blender and process until completely smooth. This will make about 2 cups of date syrup. Measure 1.5 cups worth that will be used in your loaf and the remaining 1/2 cup will be used later to make the glaze. Do not use more than 1.5 cups in the loaf.
- Now add all your wet ingredients except the cranberries, to the bowl of dry ingredients: 1.5 cup of the date syrup you just made, the 1/2 cup of orange juice and the zest, and the applesauce. Mix until incorporated. Then fold in the cranberries.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and gently tap the loaf pan down 2-3 times on a hard surface to ensure no gaps. Don't press down with a spatula.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry. Depending on your oven and loaf pan size, cooking time will vary slightly. Once baked, remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing the bread from the pan. Place on a wire rack, or cutting board to let cool completely before glazing.
- To make your glaze, add 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed orange juice to your remaining 1/2 cup of date syrup and mix well. Then pour desired amount of the glaze over your cooled loaf in a zigzag pattern. Slice and enjoy!