Attention chocolate lovers!! This one’s for you. This delicious, chocolate zucchini bread is decadent and scrumptious, all while being completely WFPB (whole food plant based), without any oil! This tasty dessert is healthy enough for a wholesome breakfast. It’s loaded with zucchini and naturally sweetened using dates! It’s chocolatey flavour comes from ‘good for you’ dark chocolate and raw cocoa powder.
Not only is this bread…er cake…refined sugar free, but it’s dairy free, egg free, oil free, and gluten free!
Not a double chocolate fan?
Although, I’d say this zucchini bread has just the right amount of chocolate, feel free to check out my chocolate chip banana bread instead. Just as delicious!!
Need it nut free?
Sub the almond milk for soy or coconut milk.
It’s seriously the perfect dessert option for ALL eating preferences and intolerances.
Are you drooling yet?
How do you make healthy chocolate zucchini bread?
First, combine all your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Then set aside while you prepare your date paste.
Add the dates and water to your food processor and pulse until a paste forms as shown below. Stop to scrape down the sides as needed until all the dates are processed. Then transfer this mixture into a medium mixing bowl.
To this same bowl, add all remaining wet ingredients and mix well. Then pour your wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix until combined without over mixing.
Finally, pour your batter into your prepared loaf pan. At this point, you may add even more chocolate chips on top, if desired. Both with or without taste fantastic. But…a little extra chocolatey goodness is just what the doctor ordered. 🙂 Then bake!
Once baked, removed the loaf from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before removing it from the pan. Use the parchment paper to help get the loaf out and transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
This will be the hardest part!
Do not slice this deliciousness until cooled, or it won’t hold up as well. I know it will be tempting! Like really, really tempting! But waiting until it cools will allow it to set and make slicing a whole lot easier.
When the waiting game is finally over, slice this bad boy into ten slices and enjoy! Serve with fresh fruit for dessert, or enjoy with your morning coffee for a delicious, healthy breakfast.
How long does chocolate zucchini bread keep?
This bread tastes best within 1-2 days of being made, however, you may keep it refrigerated in a container or wrapped up for up to 4 days.
Can any substitutions be made?
Yes! Firstly, if avoiding nuts, sub the nut milk for soy milk or coconut milk.
If you’re avoiding chocolate chips, (but not nuts), you may sub for pecans or walnuts. I’ve also had a reader report that she subbed the chocolate chips for pomegranate chunks. I haven’t personally tried it this way, but I’m told it’s delicious!
More delicious healthier desserts
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- Allergen Friendly Sweet Potato Cookies
- Quinoa Mini Muffins with Sweet Potato
- Easy Healthy Chickpea Cookies
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 2 cups oat flour, gluten free if preferred
- 1/3 cup raw cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line a 9"x5" loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the dates and water to a food processor and pulse until a paste is formed, scraping down the sides as needed. Transfer this mixture to a medium bowl. Then add all remaining wet ingredients to the same bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Then pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips if desired and gently press them down.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Then remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to let cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!