Step aside peanut butter, it’s all about PECAN butter now. 🙂 This is definitely my absolute favourite nut butter I’ve ever tried to date. It’s smooth, it’s rich, it’s oh-so creamy and seriously, it’s absolutely mouth watering.
I actually intended to make almond butter but realized I didn’t have any almonds. Saw the bag of pecans and wow am I ever happy I went this route! Pecan butter is smooth and creamy and oh so delicious! Ready for this easy nut butter recipe? Let’s get right to it! 🙂
How to make pecan butter
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place your whole pecans or pecan pieces in a single layer and bake them for 5 minutes. Just enough to release some of the natural oils which will help them turn into delicious butter.
Then remove from the oven and transfer them to your food processor, along with the salt and any optional ingredients (coconut sugar and cinnamon). I recommend BOTH but if you’re avoiding sugar, you may skip it with amazing results.
You may also use a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix, but I find it easier to remove nut butters from a food processor. It will take a little longer in a food processor, but I find the simplicity of transferring it out later worth the extra couple of minutes.
Start processing your pecans on high speed. They’ll quickly break down and turn into a floury texture and slowly begin clumping together.
Eventually, you’ll have a delicious creamy pecan butter. Depending on the strength of your food processor, it can take anywhere from 3-10 minutes to get your nuts from pecans, to flour, to nut butter.
You may need to turn off your food processor and let it cool down every couple of minutes or so for a minute or longer to prevent it from overheating.
Then transfer your pecan butter to a glass jar or container.
How to use homemade pecan butter
You can use this nut butter in any way you’d use peanut or almond butter. Try it on toast, add it smoothies, make delicious pecan butter cookies, or just grab a spoon and dig right in. Yup, it’s that good!
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also like:
- Peanut Butter Hummus [Oil Free]
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Pecan Butter Cookies [V+GF+Oil Free]
- Peanut Butter Pancakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a large tray with parchment paper. Place the pecans in a single layer and bake for 5 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Transfer the pecans to a food processor and the salt, and any optional ingredients if using. Process on high speed, scraping down the sides often. The mixture will turn from a crumbly mixture and eventually into creamy, delicious pecan butter. Depending on your machine, this can take anywhere from 3-10 minutes. You may want to stop the machine every couple of minutes or so to give it a break and avoid overheating.
- Store in a glass jar with lid at room temperature for up to 1 week, or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.