Sweet potato mac and cheese is the perfect way to sneak in extra protein and veggies. You can’t beat a recipe that is both nutritious AND delicious! Plus, this dish is kid friendly, and perfect for the entire family, including the pickiest of eaters
I know, vegan and cheese don’t necessarily belong together. Bear with me a moment while I explain. If you’re not vegan, or dairy free, chances are you may not have heard of the amazing ingredient called nutritional yeast. This magical and natural ingredient has cheesy flavour while providing a boost of B vitamins. It’s so versatile and can be added to so many dishes where a little extra cheesiness is needed! Such as this sweet potato mac and cheese for instance.
How do you make sweet potato mac and cheese?
To make the vegan cheese sauce, roast your sweet potatoes until fork tender. (You may also boil in a pot of water if preferred.) Meanwhile, sauté some onion and garlic. Then add the vegetables to your blender along with cashews, nutritional yeast, and the perfect seasoning blend. Voila! And just like that, you have delicious, creamy, velvety, mac and cheese sauce.
I like using Rotini for this dish because I find the sauce gets into every groove. So every single bite is loaded with delicious cheesy flavour. Of course, you can sub with any other pasta of your choice, including gluten free varieties. Either way, this dish is sure to satisfy the entire family.
More vegan mac and cheese recipes
- Avocado Mac and Cheese [V+GF]
- Dairy Free Rice Mac & Cheese to Feed a Crowd
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Mac and Thai
- 2 small sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp avocado or grape seed oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk or milk of choice
- 1.5-2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 454g package pasta of choice gluten free if needed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake for 15 minutes, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, add your cooking oil and chopped onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, sautéed veggies, cashews, seasonings, cashew milk, and 1.5 cups of the veggie broth to a high powered blender. Blend until smooth and check consistency. Add remaining broth if a thinner sauce is desired.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to boil and cook your pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix well.
- Optional: Set the oven to broil on high and transfer the pasta to a baking dish. Place on top rack for 3-5 minutes until the top is golden and crispy, checking often not to burn.