Tender spaghetti with summer squash and mushrooms in a light, creamy sauce that’s ready in just 30 minutes! This easy mushroom zucchini pasta is filled with flavour, delicious, fresh produce and just a hint of spice.
This easy weeknight meal is a must try. Great flavour, with very little effort required.
Here’s why you’ll love it!
- Ready in just 30 minutes!
- Simple prep with common ingredients.
- Bursting with fresh flavour.
- Filling, delicious and completely satisfying. Everyone loves a pasta dish, am I right? 🙂
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients and chop and prep everything, before you begin. Then cook pasta to package directions for ‘al dente’ pasta.
Melt the butter (if using) and add the minced garlic, parsley and oregano to your pan, sauté for about 30 seconds. (photos 1-2)
Add the mushrooms and zucchini to your pan and continue to sauté until reduced, approx. 3-4 minutes. (photos 3-4)
NOTE: It doesn’t take long for garlic to burn, so watch carefully and add the remaining veggies as soon as the garlic is golden.
While your veggies are sautéing, combine the wine, broth, milk, corn starch and chili flakes to a small bowl or measuring cup. (photos 5-6)
Then pour the mixture into the pan with the veggies. (photo 7)
Simmer your sauce until slightly thickened and then add your cooked spaghetti (and Parmesan, if using) to the pan and mix to coat. (photos 8-9)
Garnish with fresh basil, more red pepper flakes and vegan Parmesan cheese, if you’d like and dig in!
Absolutely. Use angel hair, linguine, or even short varieties like penne or rigatoni or any of your favourite shapes.
Feel free to sub the veggies for any of your choice. Green beans, asparagus, broccoli and peas would also be great here. This dish works best with in season produce, so choose your favourites, and enjoy.
For a low fat diet that’s avoiding oils, you may sub the butter for vegetable broth, or water, with great results.
The wine adds a really nice flavour to the sauce, but if you must avoid it, you may sub for more broth, plus 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for some acidic component.
Your mushroom zucchini pasta tastes best when freshly made, but you may store leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 3 days. Gently reheat on stove top, without over cooking.
- Salt your pasta water. Make sure to add enough salt to your pot of water for best texture and flavour. Here’s a handy guide to help you salt your water perfectly each time.
- Cook your pasta al dente. Do not overcook! Al dente means that the pasta is still firm once cooked, giving optimal texture in every bite. To ensure your pasta does not over cook, start taste testing a few minutes before the package says it will be ready. It should be tender, but still firm.
- Add extra protein. Toss in a can of drained chickpeas or beans, or use some cooked or canned lentils to give this dish even more of a nutrient boost.
More delicious pasta dishes
- Pasta e Fagioli
- Instant Pot Spicy Thai Noodles
- Vegan Hamburger Helper w/ Soy Curls
- Pumpkin Gnocchi made from scratch!
- Vegan Baked Pasta
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1/2 pound (227 g) spaghetti approx. half a standard size box of pasta
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or margarine optional (sub for water or broth for oil free)
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 pound (450 g) cremini or white mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium zucchini quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine *see notes for sub
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy milk or cashew or coconut if preferred
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes optional, but recommended
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese optional, but recommended
- more parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- more chili flakes
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to boil and cook your pasta according to package directions for 'al dente' pasta. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep pan, melt the butter (if using) and add the garlic, oregano and parsley and sauté for 30 seconds. Then add the mushrooms and zucchini and sauté until reduced, approx. 3-4 minutes.
- Combine the wine, broth, milk, corn starch and chili flakes in a small bowl or measuring cup, then pour into your pan and simmer 4-5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust, if needed. (This will vary according to the saltiness of your broth.)
- By now, your pasta should be cooked, so dump the drained spaghetti (and Parm, if using) into the pan with the sauce and mix well. Serve with fresh parsley and extra chili flakes, if desired.