Perfect for the holidays, or any day, this vegan creamed corn is unbelievably flavourful with minimal effort required. Just 6 ingredients and less than 15 minutes and you’ll have a beautiful, tasty side dish that will have you salivating. It’s sweet, it’s savoury and it’s even a hint of spicy.
If you’re a fan of corn, you’ll definitely want to try this. Just like my mexican corn salad, this dish is easy to make and utterly delicious.
What is creamed corn?
Creamed corn is a side dish that combines corn kernels along with a creamy sauce, or pureed corn kernels. A classic version is usually made with heavy cream, butter, and refined sugar.
It’s traditionally eaten on Thanksgiving, but can be enjoyed all year round. (PS. If you want more vegan Thanksgiving recipes, be sure to check out these!)
Although you can purchase creamed corn in a can, making it from scratch really is best! Especially when it can be done so simply, and you really can’t beat homemade.
But what makes this version extra special?
- It’s oil and butter free! Unlike most creamed corn recipes on the web, this one does not use butter or oil, but I promise you WON’T miss it. Not one bit!
- Dairy free, of course, like all our recipes here on the blog. Coconut milk does a fantastic job of replacing heavy cream, and again, you will not be missing a thing.
- It’s ready in LESS than 15 minutes, which is pretty impressive considering how darn delicious this is!
- This vegan creamed corn is the perfect combo of sweet, savoury, and a touch of spice. Your taste buds will be jumping for joy! Seriously!
Can I use canned corn?
Yes, you may sub the frozen corn for canned. Just make sure to read the label since some canned products will have extra salt or added sugar, making it a less healthy choice, when compared to frozen.
Can I use fresh corn?
Fresh corn works beautifully here too, just give yourself an extra 5-10 minutes or so to husk your corn and remove the kernels from the cob.
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Start by gathering your ingredients. Although the maple syrup and chili flakes are optional, I really do recommend them!
Add all the ingredients to a pan or skillet and mix well. (photos 1-2)
Bring to a low boil over medium heat, cooking for about 8-10 minutes, until reduced by approx half. (photos 3-4)
Then transfer one cup worth of your corn mixture to a blender and process until mostly smooth. (photos 5-6)
Return the corn puree to the pan and mix well, and now you have vegan creamed corn! (photos 7-8)
That’s it! So easy, peasy, and unbelievably delicious!
Garnish with some fresh parsley or cilantro and extra chili flakes, if you’d like.
How long does it keep?
You may store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 3 days in your refrigerator.
To reheat, do so in a pan on your stove top, adding a little more milk or a splash of water to loosen, if needed.
What substitutions can I make?
You may use frozen corn kernels, canned, or freshly cut off the cob for this vegan creamed corn.
For less calories and fat, you may sub the coconut milk for light canned coconut milk. Note that this will make the dish a little less rich.
If you don’t have maple syrup, you may use any of your favourite liquid sweeteners, or omit.
For coconut free, sub the coconut milk for another plant based milk of choice, like cashew or more soy milk. Again, note that this will make the dish a little less rich.
For soy free, sub the soy milk for any unsweetened plant milk of choice.
More vegan Thanksgiving recipes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (no drain!)
- Vegan Onion Gravy
- Air Fryer Carrots [Two Ways!]
- Meatless Chickpea Meatloaf with Smoked Maple Glaze
- Vegan Pumpkin Risotto
- Butternut Squash Soup
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels no need to thaw
- 400 ml Thai Kitchen unsweetened coconut milk full fat for best results* (approx 1 ¾ cup)
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk or unsweetened plant milk of choice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup optional but recommended
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes optional but recommended
- Add all your ingredients to a pan or skillet and mix well. Bring to a low boil, over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking for 8-10 minutes until reduced by about half.
- Now transfer 1 cup worth of your corn mixture to a blender and process until mostly smooth. Then pour it back into your pan and mix well to combine. Serve warm.