Crunchy, smoky, salty/sweet candied bacon pecans AKA vegan bacon bits are mouth wateringly delicious and incredibly addictive! You’ll want to sprinkle these crunchy bits on ALL the things!
I know it sounds crazy! And yes, I know vegan bacon is a bit of a conundrum. But hear me out!
If you’ve had candied pecans before, you know they’re delicious and addictive. Now add some bacon, smoky flavour to that, and you’ve got some vegan fakin’ bacon to top your mashed potatoes, savoury pancakes and so much more.
Why you’ll love these!
- Crunchy!! Pecans make the perfect texture for your vegan bacon bits.
- A mix of smoky, salty, sweet and savoury! A serious flavour bomb!
- Simple to make and ready in JUST 10 minutes!
- All you need is just 5 ingredients. Woohoo!
- Perfect for everyone! Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, gluten free or oil free, you can have and enjoy this vegan bacon!
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients. You’ll only need five!
Place your pecans in the bowl of your food processor, and pulse about 7-8 times until broken down. Make sure not to over process, you don’t want crumbs! (photos 1-2)
NOTE: If there’s a few pecans that haven’t broken down, break those few by hand, rather than continuing to process, or you’ll end up with too many crumbs.
Set the pecans aside and add all remaining ingredients to a skillet. Mix well and cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbling, about 2-3 minutes. (photos 3-4)
Now add the pecans to the pan and continue cooking and mixing until all the pieces are glazed, approx. 2 minutes. (photos 5-6)
Remove from the heat and transfer your vegan bacon bits to a sheet of parchment paper. Spread them out as best you can and let them cool to room temperature. (photos 7-8)
Then transfer your candied fakin’ bacon to a glass jar, or another air tight container, if not using right away.
What to top with your fakin’ bacon bits
Okay, so you’ve made them. Now what to put them on?
- Baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, poutine, home fries, and all things potatoes! 😉
- Savoury pancakes – a must try!
- Burgers, sandwiches and wraps.
- Cobb salad (or any salad).
- Or add some to your favourite dips like guacamole or hummus.
Keep your vegan bacon bits in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or refrigerate to keep for 2-3 weeks.
You may also freeze your fakin’ bacon bits for up to 2 months. Make sure to let them cool completely, before freezing.
- Be mindful not to over process your pecans. Just pulse until broken down and check on them before continuing. You don’t want crumbs!
- Make your vegan bacon bits ahead of time so they have a chance to cool and harden, before consuming.
- One batch doesn’t last very long, so if you want to make some for freezing, double up the recipe! 😉
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- Lay out a sheet of parchment paper on a tray or counter top.
- Then place your pecans in a food processor and pulse 7-8 times to break them down. They don't need to be the same size, and make sure not to over process. You want chunky pieces, not crumbs. Set aside
- Now combine everything, except the pecans to a small pan and cook over medium heat, stirring often for 2-3 minutes. The mixture should be bubbly and then add the pecan pieces. Mix well, cooking for another 2-3 minutes until the pecans are evenly coated.
- Remove from the heat and spread them onto your parchment paper. Let them cool completely, then break apart and store in a container or jar.