This rich and completely delicious walnut cheese is incredibly simple to make, with just 5 ingredients required (including water!). This simple vegan cheese sauce is the perfect solution for dunking, drizzling and pouring when you need a “cheesy” fix.
This recipe was originally published in September 2019. It has been updated for content and photos.
This easy vegan cheese sauce really stands out from the rest! Instead of using cashews or potatoes like many other vegan cheese recipes out there, we’re using walnuts to change things up a bit. Hence, walnut cheese.
Why you’ll LOVE this one!
- No soaking required! Unlike most cashew based sauces, you do NOT need to soak the walnuts if you’ve got a decent blender.
- No chopping, cooking or prep of any kind. Just grab the ingredients and throw them in the blender.
- Just 5 ingredients needed, and none of them are “weird” or hard to find. One possible exception being the nutritional yeast. However, if you’re accustomed to plant based cooking, you probably have some in your pantry.
- This cheesy dip is not only vegan, but it’s also naturally gluten free, soy free, and oil free!
- It’s seriously mouth watering. And yes, many cheese sauces are, but most require a fair bit more effort than this walnut cheese.
- Which brings us to the fact that this walnut cheese is ready in FIVE MINUTES! Truly, it takes no time at all from start to finish.
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients. All you’ll need is some warm water, walnuts and seasoning.
Add everything to a high speed blender and process until smooth and creamy. (photos 1-2)
NOTE: To get a smooth consistency, have your blender run for 1-2 minutes, taking breaks if needed, to prevent overheating.
That’s it! Easy, peasy, and incredibly tasty!
How to use it
Use this walnut cheese sauce in any way you’d use queso, or a cheesy dip. Here are some of my favourites!
- Drizzle it over corn on the cob.
- Pour some on your nachos, or in your tacos or burritos!
- Stir it into chili or top your favourite soups.
- If you’re not up for making cheese curds, use this to top your poutine.
- Drizzle it over these Mexican stuffed peppers or top your baked potatoes.
- Or just grab a spoon and enjoy! 🙂
How long will it keep?
This walnut cheese sauce tastes best served warm, so plan to serve straight away.
Or, refrigerate for up to 3 days, and reheat in a small sauce pan when ready to serve. Add a tablespoon or two of water, if needed to thin out the sauce.
- As mentioned, there’s no need to soak the walnuts if you’ve got a powerful blender. If not, soak them for 30 minutes in hot water and then drain before adding to your blender.
- If you’re not using a powerful blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec, turn it off, wait 30 seconds and start again until your walnut cheese is smooth. (This will help prevent overheating in a less powerful blender.)
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of additional hot water, as needed to reach desired consistency, if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- Change it up! If you’d like to switch up the flavours, sub the onion powder for garlic powder, paprika, smoked paprika, or any other spices you’d like. (Keep in mind darker seasoning will change the colour of your walnut cheese sauce.)
More cheesy recipes you’ll love!
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Vegan Poutine w/ cheese curds that SQUEAK!
- Healthy Cauliflower Cheese Sauce [SPICY]
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup hot water plus an optional extra tablespoon or two for desired consistency
- Using a kettle or small pot, boil a cup or two of fresh water. (Since some will evaporate.)
- Add all the ingredients using only 3/4 cup of the hot water to your blender and process until smooth and creamy. It will take about a minute or so for the walnuts to fully break down and become smooth. If needed, turn off your blender and start again until desired texture is reached. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. If you like a thinner sauce, add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of water and re-blend.