All you need is four ingredients and five minutes for a creamy and delicious vegan crema fresca to pour over ALL the things! Also known as crème fraiche, this sauce is flavourful, tangy and you won’t believe how easy it is to make!
Why you’ll love this version!
- It’s healthier than classic versions, made using wholesome ingredients and free from dairy, so it’s perfect for vegans and anyone with a lactose intolerance.
- Super easy to make! Just 5 minutes is all you need if you’ve got a powerful blender. If not, you’ll need to presoak your cashews.
- Tastes like the real deal! Yes!! It tastes so good, you’d never guess it was vegan.
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients. All you’ll need is four things!
Add everything to a high speed blender and process until smooth. Start with only half a cup of water and add 1-2 tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is reached. (I find half a cup plus 2 tablespoons to be perfect.) (photos 1-2)
Transfer to a glass jar or container and refrigerate to let cool before using.
What to use it on
So many delicious ways to use your vegan crème fraiche!
- Drizzle it over roasted or grilled veggies.
- Mix some into a soup, chili or mashed potatoes.
- Use it as a salad dressing for coleslaw and other creamy salads.
- Add some to all your Mexican favourites, like tacos, burritos, nachos, fajitas and more.
- Use it as a spread in sandwiches, burgers or wraps.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t have any limes on hand, you may use lemon juice instead. You may also use apple cider vinegar with similar results.
Your vegan crema fresca will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days, in a sealed container or jar. Note, that it will thicken slightly in the fridge.
Yup! You bet. You may freeze your vegan crème fraiche in a freezer safe, air tight container for up to 3 months.
- If you don’t have a high speed blender, soak your cashews in boiling hot water for 30 minutes, and then drain, before blending your vegan crème fraiche. The soaking time will soften them, making them easier to break down.
- Refrigerate your crema before using as it tastes best chilled. If time doesn’t allow it, it still tastes great freshly made.
- For nut free, you may sub the cashews for raw sunflower seeds or pepitas with similar results. Make sure to use unsalted or omit the salt.
More vegan dips and spreads
- Dill Pickle White Bean Hummus
- Vegan Walnut Cheese Sauce
- Easy Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Vegan Sriracha Mayo
- Vegan Buffalo Sauce [No Butter or Oil]
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2-3/4 cup fresh water I like half a cup plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup lime juice approx. 1 large lime or 2 small
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender, like a Vitamix and process until smooth and creamy. Start with half a cup of water and add more 1-2 tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is reached. (I find half a cup plus two tablespoons to be perfect.)