This simple side dish is ready in under 20 minutes and loaded with flavour. Coconut lime quinoa is rich with a little tang, and incredibly delicious. Plus, it’s packed with protein and fiber for a nutrient dense dish the whole family will love!
This recipe was originally published in August 2018. It has been updated for content and photos.
This easy peasy coconut lime quinoa with fresh herbs tastes like comfort food, but it’s completely wholesome.
Is Quinoa Healthy?
Quinoa is often considered a super food, and not without good reason! Not only is quinoa loaded with protein, fiber and other nutrients.
But when compared to rice, it’s lower in carbs and calories. This makes it a great option for weight management too.
Quinoa is naturally gluten free, making it a great choice for anyone with a gluten intolerance. There are so many great reasons to add quinoa to your meals!
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients. You’ll only need a handful.
Add the water, salt, coconut milk and quinoa to a small pot and bring to boil over high heat. (photo 1)
Then reduce heat and simmer until the quinoa absorbs all the liquid, about 15 minutes. Stir often towards the end of cooking. (photo 2)
Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice and chopped cilantro and mix well. (photo 3)
Serve warm and enjoy!
I like drizzling the finished product in Sriracha to add a little bit of kick, but this is completely optional!
Of course, extra cilantro and lime wedges are great garnishes too.
What to serve with it
Coconut lime quinoa pairs nicely with “naked” burgers, like this sweet potato version.
How long does it keep?
Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
To reheat, you’ll need to add a splash of water or broth to loosen.
What substitutions can I make?
- For low fat, I’m using lite coconut milk, but for a richer version, feel free to use full fat coconut milk, if preferred.
- Cilantro haters 🙂 – feel free to swap for fresh parsley, dill or mint, if preferred.
- For a quinoa free version, check out my coconut rice, instead.
More delicious quinoa recipes
- Mini Quinoa Sweet Potato Muffins
- Quinoa Pasta Salad [Healthy + Low Cal]
- Cabbage Quinoa Salad
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- To a medium saucepan, add the quinoa, water, salt and coconut milk, and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed. Stir often towards the end of cooking to prevent sticking.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Enjoy!