This dairy free broccoli soup is so satisfying, luscious and creamy, all without the cream! A dish that’s low in calories but does NOT sacrifice on flavour, using a secret ingredient to give this soup its creamy texture. Ready in just 20 minutes or less!
This recipe was originally published in June 2018. It has been updated for content and photos.
This simple and delicious dish is ready in no time, perfect for those busy weeknights! And if you’re a huge soup fan like I am, be sure to check out this collection of incredible soup recipes too!
Why you’ll love it!
- It’s simple to prepare with just 6 ingredients and 20 minutes needed, from start to finish.
- This might be a dairy free broccoli soup, but you’ll NEVER miss the dairy! Super creamy and super delicious, thanks to our secret ingredient, avocado!
- A great dish for a light meal, or bulk it up with a scoop of beans or grains.
- Surprisingly filling, considering there are so few ingredients, thanks to its rich texture.
- Kid friendly! Whoop! My entire family LOVES this one.
- Not only is this soup dairy free, but it’s vegan and vegetarian friendly, it’s gluten free, soy free and nut free. Being free from all common allergens makes this broccoli soup perfect for everyone!
How to make it
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Gather your ingredients, you’ll only need six.
Melt the butter (if using) in a large pot and add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until soft and golden. (photos 1-3)
NOTE: If you’re avoiding oil, you may omit the butter and sauté in a little broth or water, instead.
Add the broccoli and the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce heat to medium/low and cook with the lid on for about 5 minutes, until broccoli is fork tender. (photos 4-5)
Remove from the heat, add the avocado to the pot and use an immersion blender to purée until smooth. (photos 6-7)
Serve garnished with hot peppers to kick it up a notch, or sliced avocado for extra richness.
How long does it keep?
If you have leftovers, you may store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in a sealed container.
Alternatively, you may freeze your broccoli soup in a freezer safe, air tight container for up to 3 months. Make sure to cool your soup to room temperature before freezing and leave a little space for expansion!
What if I don’t like avocado?
Even if you don’t like avocado, I promise you won’t taste it! The avocado just adds richness and creaminess to your dairy free broccoli soup, without using dairy.
That said, if you really, really don’t want to use avocado, here’s some other ways to make your broccoli soup extra creamy, without dairy.
- Stir in some cashew cream or vegan yogurt.
- Add a cup of white cannellini beans to the pot before blending.
- Use silken tofu to blend up with your broccoli soup.
- Or, if you really don’t like any of these ideas, just use one cup less of the vegetable broth for a thicker consistency.
What else can I add?
This broccoli soup makes a great light meal, or feel free to bulk it up!
Add a scoop of brown rice, quinoa, or barley. Or make some noodles or your favourite pasta to add to the mix.
You may also add some cooked or canned white cannellini beans, for their creaminess, or any of your favourite beans or lentils.
Tips & Recipe Notes
- For oil free, simply omit the butter and sub for some water or broth, instead.
- Although I would argue that this dish has a healthy amount of fat, if you’re on a strict, low fat diet, you may sub the avocado for a cup of cooked or canned white beans, instead.
- If you do not have an immersion blender, carefully transfer your soup to a regular blender. Do not overfill, work in batches and use extreme caution when blending hot liquids.
More delicious creamy soups!
- Carrot Cauliflower Soup w/ Dill & Sage
- Broccoli Almond Soup
- Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Cold Pear Soup
- Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, margarine or cooking oil of choice omit and sub for water or broth if avoiding oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 cups broccoli florets approx. 2 large heads of broccoli
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 avocado peel & pit removed
- salt & pepper to taste
- sliced avocado
- hot peppers or hot sauce
- crackers, croutons or crusty bread
- green onion, chives or fresh herbs of choice
- In a large pot, melt the butter, if using and then add the onion and garlic. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Then add the broccoli and the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium/low and cook with the lid on for about 5-7 minutes until the broccoli is fork tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the avocado to the pot. Then use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Then serve.