Cream of broccoli soup is so satisfying, wholesome, creamy and delicious! All the while being low in calories, without sacrificing on flavour. It contains a secret ingredient to give it its “creaminess” and it’s ready in under 20 minutes!
How to make cream of broccoli soup (without cream)
To make your soup, start by sautéing your onion and garlic in a little cooking oil, or water or broth if you’re avoiding oil. Once softened, add the broccoli and veggie broth and cook until fork tender.
Using an immersion blender, you’ll then puree your broccoli soup. Now, ready for my secret? Shhh..
The secret to this creamy soup recipe is avocado! Now how cool is that?
Puree an avocado into the soup once cooked. It adds all the creamy, delicious, velvety, goodness you’re looking for in a soup. Plus, it adds a healthy dose of good for you fat! If you’re not an avocado fan (WHAT?!), I promise you won’t taste it. It really just adds the thick delicious creamy texture to your bowl.
If you want to kick your soup up a notch, add some hot peppers, or sriracha drizzled on top. I know you’re going to love this simple appetizer. It’s flavourful, healthy, easy to make, and ready in under 20 minutes.
To take this from appetizer to entree, add a scoop of brown rice, barley, quinoa, or any of your favourite grains to your bowl. Or add some cooked or canned beans or lentils to make this a heartier dish. Enjoy!
More favourite creamy soup recipes
- Carrot Cauliflower Soup with Dill & Sage
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- Creamy Autumn Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup (with Stove Top Directions)
- Vegan Cold Pear Soup
- Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tbsp cooking oil or use water or broth if avoiding oil
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 broccoli heads cut into large florets
- 1 avocado peeled & pitted
- salt & pepper to taste
- Garnish with your favourite hot sauce or chili flakes optional
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, add your cooking oil (or water or broth) and sauté the onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and broccoli, and bring to a low boil. Cook covered for about 8 minutes until broccoli is fork tender.
- Remove from heat, and add the avocado. Then using an immersion blender, puree the soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve your soup garnished with hot sauce or chili flakes if desired.