Crisp, tender, flavourful, and delicious air fryer asparagus. No oil is needed, just four ingredients, and ready in 10 minutes! This delicious easy side dish is the perfect accompaniment to virtually any meal!
Did you know you can roast asparagus in your air fryer? I absolutely love how vegetables turn out in my “fryer”.
While asparagus is popular in grocery stores in the spring and summer months, you can definitely enjoy this dish all year long.
And you really should, because it’s utterly delicious!
Ingredients + Substitutions
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Asparagus: Choose spears that are firm to the touch and stand up straight. The tips should be closed and deep in colour. You’ll want to trim the woody ends that are tough and hard of each stalk of asparagus where the green is turning to white.
- Lemon: Adds lovely citrusy flavour to the dish and eliminates the need for olive oil, keeping this dish very low in calories and fat.
- Sesame seeds: These add a mild nutty flavour and a satisfying crunch to the dish. I like white, but you may use black if that’s what you have on hand.
- Salt: If you’re on a low or no salt diet, you may omit the salt. You may also use soy sauce instead of salt for added flavour.
(This is a summary with step by step photos, full recipe measurements and instructions are in the recipe card below.)
First, trim asparagus spears and add them to a large bowl with all the seasoning. Gently toss to coat them. (photos 1-2)
Place in your air fryer basket and air fry until golden brown and nicely roasted. (photo 3)
Transfer the air fryer asparagus to a dish and serve with an extra sprinkle of sesame seeds and lemon wedges, if you’d like. Enjoy as a side or healthy snack!
Want to change up the flavours of this air fryer asparagus recipe? Try one of these!
- Spicy: Add ¼ or ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes and a sprinkle of black pepper to the marinade to add some heat to the dish.
- Garlic: Add 1 clove of minced garlic or ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder to the marinade.
- Sweet: Use orange juice instead of lemon juice for a sweeter and less tangy version and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or glaze when serving.
- Cheesy: Add 1-2 tablespoons of vegan parmesan cheese to the dish.
- Alfredo: Keep the recipe as is and serve drizzled with Alfredo sauce.
- Ranch: Keep the recipe as is and serve drizzled with ranch dressing.
We use a Ninja Foodi 8 quart but any model will work for this recipe, including toaster oven styles.
Since individual models will cook at different temperatures and speeds, check on your asparagus often, starting at the 4 minute mark, and continue air frying until golden brown and roasted.
Can I make these in my oven?
Yes, absolutely. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and use a parchment lined tray or nonstick baking dish to arrange your seasoned asparagus spears in a single layer. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until golden brown and roasted.
If you have leftovers, keep them refrigerated in a airtight container for 3-4 days. You may enjoy the leftovers cold and chopped into salads, or reheat them in your oven, fryer, or on your stove top. Be careful not to overcook them when reheating.
I don’t recommend freezing.
- Choose asparagus spears that are firm to the touch and stand up straight. The tips should be closed and deep in colour. You’ll want to trim the tough/hard ends of your asparagus where the green is turning to white.
- Watch carefully towards the end of cooking and do not overcook. Overcooked asparagus can get stringy in texture.
More delicious air fryer recipes
If you tried this recipe, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.
- 12 ounces asparagus ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Wash and trim your asparagus and place them in a wide and shallow dish. Add the lemon juice, sesame seeds, and salt, and gently toss them to evenly coat the spears.
- Transfer the seasoned asparagus to your air frying basket (or toaster oven tray) and air fry at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 6-8 minutes until golden brown.