Check out this awesome collection of the very BEST Vegan Pancakes that are perfect for breakfast, brunch, and even dinner. Featuring 15 delicious vegan pancake recipes with sweet and savoury options.
This post was originally published in February 2020. It has been updated for content and photos.
Your search ends here! Whether it’s Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday (Fat Tuesday), or plain ole pancake Sunday, these fluffy vegan pancakes will please the entire family.
Pancake Day falls on the day before Ash Wednesday which signals the start of the Lenten season. Since Lent is a time for fasting, the day before Lent is a time for indulgence, and traditionally people fill their bellies with rich, delicious food in preparation for the fasting season.
Hence Pancake Tuesday.
Below you’ll find pancakes suitable for a vegan breakfast and brunch, of course. But you’ll also find savoury pancakes that are perfect for dinner.
Now, although you won’t find certain rich ingredients like dairy and eggs, what you will find are absolutely scrumptious pancakes made from scratch. All of them are made using dairy-free milk and no eggs, and most are refined sugar-free, many are gluten-free, nut-free, and oil-free, and ALL are delicious.
For those of you on a whole food plant based no oil (WFPB-NO) diet, I use this non stick griddle and NEVER grease it and my pancakes NEVER get stuck. 🙂
Are you ready for this?
The BEST Vegan Pancake Recipes
- Usually, you may swap any non-dairy milk for another. Most of the time almond milk, cashew milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc, are interchangeable. The exception is usually coconut milk due to its higher fat content.
- Generally, you don’t want to swap dry ingredients for wet ingredients. For example, using granulated sugar instead of a liquid sweetener won’t usually produce the same results.
- Apple cider vinegar is a great swap for lemon juice if you don’t have fresh lemons on hand.
- If a recipe calls for vanilla, make sure to use pure vanilla extract, and not the artificially flavoured type.
Expert Tips for the Best Vegan Pancakes
- With any pancake recipe, make sure to use active baking powder. Baking powder that remains open in your pantry for 6+ months may start to lose its effectiveness.
- Heat your pan, skillet, or griddle over medium heat. Normally, pancakes cook best over medium (and not high) heat so that they don’t cook too quickly on the outside. For even cooking, medium heat works best.
- Don’t flip your pancakes over and over. Just flip once. Wait for bubbles to appear with classic pancakes, or follow the specific instructions for each recipe.
- Most pancakes freeze well, so I normally make a double or triple batch and freeze the extra for quick make-ahead breakfasts later.
- If you use a non-stick griddle, you can avoid greasing it with coconut oil or melted vegan butter. I never grease mine to make pancakes and never have an issue with sticking.
- When mixing pancake batter, whisk the dry ingredients and then gently stir them into the wet ingredients. Most of the time a few lumps are a-okay, so it’s best not to overmix pancake batter, especially when using all purpose flour or another NON-gluten-free flour.
- A pinch of salt added to pancakes can enhance their sweetness. But if the recipe already calls for a large amount of baking powder or baking soda, you may want to avoid the additional sodium.
If you tried any of these recipes, please let me know about it in the comments below. I always love hearing from you! Don’t forget to Subscribe to This Healthy Kitchen to be among the first to get my new recipes! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter to see more delicious food and get all the latest updates.