It’s the month of love! Valentine’s Day, combined with my love for pancakes is how these amazingly beautiful beet pancakes were born! Not only are these visually appetizing, but they taste great too. They are naturally sweetened using beets and maple syrup, making them refined sugar free.
These beet pancakes are also vegan, gluten free, peanut free and oil free, to accommodate nearly ANY diet. Plus beets have tons of vitamins and nutrients and have been said to help aid in lowering blood pressure. So surprise your sweetheart with breakfast in bed with these scrumptious, healthy pancakes!
How do you make beet pancakes?
First, peel and cut your beets into small wedges. The smaller the better, for quicker cooking, but they will be blended later, so don’t worry about uniform pieces. Cover them with water in a small sauce pan and boil until fork tender. Drain them and add to a high speed blender (I use my Vitamix) along with all remaining ingredients, and process until smooth. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
Heat your non stick griddle, and pour roughly 4″ pancakes directly from your blender spout. Cook for 3-5 minutes until bubbles form on top and edges are golden.
Then flip your pancakes and cook for a few more minutes until cooked through. If your batter gets too thick while cooking the first batch, add a tablespoon or two of water to thin out the batter as needed.
Serve with your favourite pancake toppings from fresh fruit, to shredded coconut, chocolate chips, and maple syrup! Or enjoy these delicious beet pancakes as is, they are so flavourful, no toppings required.
We love pancakes and definitely make them often! If you enjoy these beet pancakes, you might want to try some of these other delicious and healthy pancake recipes!
- Blueberry Pancakes – Gluten Free
- Peanut Butter Pancakes [V+GF]
- Lentil Banana Protein Pancakes
- Easy Banana Spinach Pancakes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes [V+GF]
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- Add you cut beets to a small sauce pan covered in water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook your beets until fork tender, about 20-30 minutes, depending on how small you cut your beets.
- Drain your beets and add them to your blender along with all remaining ingredients and process on high until puréed and smooth.
- Preheat your nonstick griddle to ensure it is hot before cooking your pancakes. Once hot, pour the batter directly from your blender spout onto your hot surface to make your pancakes approx 4" in diameter. (Grease your griddle if necessary.) Cook for 3-5 minutes, until bubbly on top and golden around the edges. Then flip and cook an additional 3-5 minutes until cooked through.
- Enjoy with maple syrup, unsweetened shredded coconut, dark chocolate chips, or fresh fruit.